Question Re Reflux Surgery

micheller

I've had severe reflux since I was pregnant with my daughter 4 years ago. I've had reflux surgery (nissen) 3 times now with no improvement in symptoms. I eventually was referred to a GI at Froedtert who diagnosed me with pots. He did a scope and said my nissen wrap is herniated, twisted, and broken down. This type of surgery is 'supposed' to last for 10 years and mine doesn't last more than 6 months. I seen a new surgeon who said my wrap does need to be fixed but he thinks something regarding my pots is causing it to come undone. He wants me to see him after I see my new neurologist but that's not until next month. I'm not sure why he thinks pots would be contributing to this so I thought I'd ask your opinions.

I don't know if you watch doctor oz, but he recently did a story on reflux. Maybe there would be some information on his website that would help you. I don't know about the surgery you've had. Not sure how a rise in heart rate would effect it.

As pots is a symptom/syndrome not an actual disease, have you looked into what might be causing your pots? Have you seen a neurologist yet? Do you know the reason you had a colostomy. These are both gi issues you are describing.

I've had severe constipation since I was born. When I was pregnant with my 2nd, I didn't have a bm for over 6 months. My gyno scheduled a c-section for that reason. She referred me to a GI right away and 2 months after I had my colostomy. I'm not sure what was the cause of my pots but my symptoms started with I was pregnant with my 3rd. During my pregnancy, I had severe heartburn/reflux. My gyno said it would stop after I delivered but it didn't. I seen a different GI, finished all the tests that confirmed reflux. He suggested I have the nissen, where they wrap the top part of the stomach around the les to tighten it. I still had symptoms so he tightened it twice again. That GI referred me to one at Froedtert who suspected pots on the first visit. I do see a neurologist next month. I'm not sure if my past gi problems are related to pots or not.

There is another condition you might want to consider. It is called small fiber autonomic neuropathy. The small fiber nerves control all your autonomic functions the digestive track is one area they are found. If you've got some time search this term with gi and see what the results are. This condition can also cause reflux and gastroparesis. There have been a lot of forum members who reported the high heart rate after pregnancy, you are not alone on that. Do you only have a rise in heart rate? What happens with bp supine to standing?

Have they reversed your colostomy yet?

Interesting. I'll have to look that up. My bp decreases and heart rate increases when I change positions. I have asked about a reversal but my surgeon says I will probably have the same problem I had before. According to my mom (not a reliable source) I had anal/rectal strictures when I was born. I was supposed to get dilated every few years and she never took me back. I took stimulant laxatives for 22 years before my surgery so I'm sure that killed off some nerves.