Stephania And Andrographis

Guest maia

Stephania (han fang ji in TCM) is a plant that I was once asked about - I wouldn't recommend its use as it contains large amounts of aristolochic acid, which can result in kidney failure (or other adverse urinary/kidney problems). It is only used in TCM with great caution, and it is something that is most likely only used in a formula in very small parts. Given the possible connections to kidney function/renin/aldosterone in POTS, I would take this into consideration.

Andrographis increases immune function, possibly by its effects on enzymes. This herb has liver-protective effects that have been studied, too. They have even explored it for its anti-cancer effects. It has been trialed for use in colitis, so it seems to have some promise for other inflammatory conditions. This is one I'll be researching further myself, as it shows some potential! It also has numerous scientific studies showing its safety, which is definitely not a bad thing!

here is my brief take on herbs and supplements:

Most have dual and many actions. Most have acute and chronic effects that differ. Some can have adverse effects when combined with other medications or herbs.

if one works its often impossible to work exactly why.

Generally the herbs that are consistently reported to have some minor benefit in these conditions are those that:

Increase blood volume

Improve alpha 1 or alpha 2 mediated vasoconstriction

that act like beta blockers

that act like acetylcholinesterase inhibitors

that work for unknown reasons (tumeric, perhaps Rhodiola).

Zap, i need to look into that acid bit a little more. from what ive read there was an issue when another herb was sustituted for stephania and it doesnt actually contain that acid. what have you read about the renin/aldosterone connection? agreed abot the safety, though the 1% ish who get hives concerns me a bit as i tend to react to the wind, lol.

ramakentesh, agreed on the effects and actions, but so many wetern meds are the same, inculding working out why/what they will work/react on. rhodolia is an interesting mention.