Normal Renin And Aldosterone Bloods - 24 Urine Now???

diamondcut

Can I ask others if they have experience with testing for Hypolomia.

My Prof has said it can be hard to test for and the best way is via bloods.

My Renin and Aldosterone bloods have come back as normal, we are looking for evidence of low blood volume.

Is it worth having a 24 urine to look at the levels that will be in this?

Also apart from catecholamines levels in a 24 urine, can anyone give me any more idea that maybe worth measuring for POTSs, seeing as though i will be going to the effort to do this?

Thanks......

I think it's your sodium level that might be an indication of hypovolemia.

There has been another post here about hypovolemia and back then I found a link to the proper way of testing for that. You might want to look it up, sorry I can't find it right now.

The 24 h urine sodium is not exact science but more of a speculation. Supposedly for POTS-ies the optimum level should be higher than 170 mEq (but I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that).

Best,

Alex

I was going to suggest looking at Cleveland Clinic's Hemodynamic lab testing. I had that done and it was so helpful in having clinical evidence of severe blood pooling. Interestingly, on th day of my testing I had the following results upon going from a supine position to a sitting up position:

- 37% blood pooling in lower extremities

- 42% decrease in cardiac output

- no change in BP. ( how can that be?)

- normal volume of blood. (although we know I'm chronically hypovolemic)

- supine Hyperkinnetic circulation

All this to say, even with state of the art diagnostics, if I went in and did the same test today I might get very different results. (ie- most times I get wide swings in my BP upon a Postural change, On that day my blood volume was normal yet we know that is not the norm for me due to IV therapy infusions being one of the few treatments that helps me.).

As far as the 24 HR urine. I'm not sure how that would give you clinical data about hypovolemia.