Adderall Working, But Is It Just Covering Real Problem?

Alaska

I posted last week how I re-started my adderall XR 20 mg with good results. I only had 4 more this week before I could get another refill from the Doc, so I didn't take it over the 3 day weekend, so I was on nothing. OH man, this weekend was ruff. I felt out of it and had very little energy and was snappy. Back at work this morning and took Adderall again and what a huge difference. More alert, more focused, more energy, don't have nearly as many recurring thoughts in my head of "I'm dizzy" or "how am I doing"... likely because I'm doing ok. I feel more normal, like back before all this stuff happened.

So, I'm going to ride with it. BUT, I do wonder if the adderall is only covering up two things. First one is probable, and that is sleep issues. I wake up like 10 times a night. My sleep study dx me with sleep arousal disorder. I wonder if adderall is simply helping me be awake. Second thought is do I have adrenal fatigue? I'm thinking about this because adderall, although it is helping, will only cover the problem and I will never get better. Adderall will make it worse over time I'm sure.

The other probable thing is that Adderall is immediately increasing my blood pressure and heart rate. Like I just took it now, and it's 127/74 and 70bpm. It's usually 12/63 and 60bpm.

I'm just happy it's helping!!

Alaska,

I understand your concern that a med might be covering up a real problem. If you have a sleep issue like sleep apnea, then I would definitely get that checked out. My daughter takes Adderall. For her, it is a quality of life issue. Without the Adderall, she couldn't read a book. It has also given her more energy. She has sleep issues, but does not have sleep apnea or any other type of problem that we seem to be able to do anything about. She does reduce her Adderall in the afternoon, as it can make her sleep issues worse. But in her case, I don't think it is covering up anything that could otherwise be fixed. Without Adderall, she sleeps poorly and feels worse. With Adderall, she still sleeps poorly but she feels a whole lot better. I also think, possibly, that she is more motivated with Adderall to get up and exercise, and I think the exercise has helped a lot.

~ dakota