Hawthorn Supplements

Has anyone tried it? The claims seem remarkable especially for our condition.

Several pilot studies have assessed the ability of hawthorn to help improve exercise tolerance in people with NYHA class II cardiac insufficiency compared to placebo. One experiment, at (300 mg/day) for 4 to 8 weeks, found no difference from placebo. The second study, including 78 subjects (600 mg/day) for 8 weeks, found "significant improvement in exercise tolerance" and lower blood pressure and heart rate during exercise. The third, including 32 subjects (900 mg/day) for 8 weeks, found improved exercise tolerance as well as a reduction in the "incidence and severity of symptoms such as dyspnea" and fatigue decreased by approximately 50%.[6]

In the HERB-CHF (Hawthorn Extract Randomized Blinded Chronic HF Study) clinical study, 120 patients took 450 mg of hawthorn extract twice daily for 6 months in combination with standard therapy and a standardized exercise program. "No effects of hawthorn were seen on either quality-of-life endpoint (Tables 1 and 2), or when adjusted for LVEF".[14]

One research program, consisting of 1,011 patients taking one tablet (standardized to 84.3 mg procyanidin) twice daily for 24 weeks, found "improvements in clinical symptoms (such as fatigue, palpitations, and exercise dyspnea), performance and exercise tolerance test, and ejection fraction".[15]

Derived from the flower, leaves, and fruits of the plant. Hawthorn has been used as an digestive aid in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries. But currently, it is used primarily to treat heart failure.

Hawthorn extract exhibited anti-inflammatory, gastroprotective, and antimicrobial properties in vitro (15). Clinical studies suggest effectiveness against congestive heart failure (10) (12) (14) and diabetes (13). Further research is needed to establish efficacy.

Frequently reported adverse events include nausea, sweating, and fatigue. Signs of overdose include hypotension and arrhythmias.

Mechanism of Action

It is thought that hawthorn causes direct dilation of smooth muscle in coronary vessels thereby lowering their resistance and increasing blood flow. Hawthorn is also characterized as having positive inotropic effects leading to an increase in heart rate, nerve conductivity, and heart muscle irritability (4).

Hmmmm not sure if this will lead to more blood pooling and more tachy

Literature Summary and Critique

Iwamoto M, et al. Klinische Wirkiung von Crataegutt bei Herzerkrankungen ischasemischer und/oder hypertensiver Genese. Planta Med 1981;42:1-16.

A hawthorn preparation containing 30 mg hawthorn extract, standardized to 1 mg procyanidins, was used in a double-blind controlled study of 80 patients (35 active, 45 placebo). The hawthorn group reported a greater overall improvement of cardiac function, dyspnea, and palpitations. Improvements in ECGs were not found to differ. Nausea, fatigue, and sweating were reported in the hawthorn group.

Schmidt U, et al. Efficacy of the hawthorn preparation in 78 patients with chronic congestive heart failure defined as NYHA functional class II. Phytomedicine 1994;1:17-24.

Seventy-eight patients were administered hawthorn extract 600 mg/day or a placebo. After a one-week washout, patients were treated for eight-weeks. An ergometer bicycle was used to determine working capacity at baseline and during treatment. Between day zero and fifty-six, the working capacity of those taking hawthorn increased by 28 watts compared to 5 watts in those receiving placebo. There was a significant decrease in systolic blood pressure and heart rate as compared to placebo.

Dosage

Oral: Many different formulations exist; dosages vary between products.

NYHA stage II cardiac insufficiency: 160-900 mg extract (standardized 4-20 mg flavonoids / 30-160 mg oligomeric procyanidins) daily in divided doses for 6 weeks or 120-240 mg extract (standardized to 1.8% vitexin rhamnoside/10% procyanidins) three times a day for 6 weeks.

Reading through your posts on this subject Rich I came across two things that are red flags for me: the lowering bp and the dilation. Maybe the hyper part of our group could benefit (though the tachy could be a problem for them) but I don't think this is for everyone.

I'd like to say that I really admire your perseverance Rich and I'm pretty sure that one day you'll find what will work for you (and maybe others here!) and have your life back!

I did take it years ago for awhile, because of the heart affects...even then I knew something was wrong with my heart and vessels...but I haven't been on it lately. Better for those with hypertension and POTS, probably...those of us with the rare combo, but could cause more tachycardia. You are always theorizing, researching and studying. I too admire your diligence and perseverance for us all :)

Reading through your posts on this subject Rich I came across two things that are red flags for me: the lowering bp and the dilation. Maybe the hyper part of our group could benefit (though the tachy could be a problem for them) but I don't think this is for everyone.

I'd like to say that I really admire your perseverance Rich and I'm pretty sure that one day you'll find what will work for you (and maybe others here!) and have your life back!

Thank you Corina. I promise that even if I find a treatment that helps only me, I will forever try to help everyone afflicted with this horrid illness! We will find a cure or at least a group of treatments that will help everyone one day...

Even if this or any other treatment I find doesn't help me I am hopeful that if it just help one out of a million, then that will make it worth while :)