So What's The Difference Between Ist And Pots?

jangle

I've been researching IST lately and the symptom profile as well as proposed treatments seem to be the same. There is current speculation on IST being autoimmune and/or autonomically mediated as well.

So is literally the only difference between IST and POTS is that with POTS our symptoms are more pronounced upon standing whereas with IST it's more or less the same in all positions?

Guest Alex

Hi Jangle,

From what I've read, the difference is that unlike POTS in IST the symptoms do not depend on the position of the body.

Another thing I have read is that while a cathether ablation might be a "cure" for IST, it is not a suggested treatment for POTS, on the contrary, if performed on a POTS patient it may be detrimental.

I haven't really research the matter into to much depth, but at a first glance, there are not too many differences.

It makes me wonder, now that I read your question, what would be the tilt table test results of a person with IST...?

Alex

From my limited research on IST and what my cardiologist said about it when I first mentioned POTS to him.....I think you have the right idea.

My cardio was drawing a Vin (ven?) diagram with all the various things that tend to fall under the big umbrella of dysautonomias or have overlapping symptoms with it. IST, POTS, CFS, FMS, anxiety, depression, etc all got put on the diagram.

It's my understanding that as far as symptoms, it's what you said about the HR being high all the time with IST rather than having the change you see with POTS.