5-Htp

Has anyone tried 5-HTP. I went to an integrative doctor and he concluded through neurotransmitter testing that my serotonin is very low. I have had trouble with SSRIs in the past so the recommendation was 5-HTP. I have been using it at a low dosage for three nights now and find that it is very sedating. I am already profoundly fatigued so this feeling of sedation is not welcome at all.

Has anyone else tried this and what were your experiences?

My daughter's cardiologist put her on this at 50mg with her evening meal. She believes that it helped her sleep a bit better and she would wake up more refreshed. Her anxiety issue was a little improved. It was subtle. Nothing dramatic at that small dose but she did know if she missed a dose the evening before.

The dr. has since added Effexor, brand only, but he commented that lots of 5-HTP would do the same thing.

I don't remember if there as an adjustment period for the 5-HTP but it took a good week to start to feel benefits from the Effexor.