Sleeping Ans Staying Cool

tucker

My daughter has dysautonomia and Chiari malformation...she is having terrible problems overheating at night..despite air conditionig and cooling pads in the bed. She slept on an air mattress for a while, which helped but is finding pressure point problems...any ideas PLEASE...a worried Mum.

I often need to put an ice pack specifically on the back of my neck in order to be able to fall asleep. I suffer from POTS and migraines and even when I don't have an active migraine, often find I need to ice pack. I have found that putting the ice pack other places doesn't work for me (and I overheat very easily). I think this placement cools blood as it is going to my brain and I think it is the key for me. Hope it might help your little girl too.

I also have an inflammatory connective tissue disease and the pressure points are horrible. I am sorry she has this problem too. I have a 3 inch memory foam matress topper and it definitely helps. But, my pain has been worse lately and I have had to resort to Tylenol PM each night to knock back the pain and to help me get sleepy. The extra anti-histamine also helps knock back my nausea a bit.

I too have problems with inflammation and BP that is lowest at night and early in the morning. Sometimes I will wake up drenched, hair/pillow/bedding/nigh clothes and have to get into shower/changed. Never know when it is going to happen, winter or summer. I have COPD/asthma, too and find it easier for me to breathe when colder in bedroom. I have air set on 64 or 65 on hot summer nights plus the ceiling fan. I wear only light cotton nightclothes (something breathable) and high thread count cotton sheets (that feel cool when you first get in). I don't use any styrofoam padding or pillows. I use a light down blanket in winter and a cotton quilt that I can easliy kick off if too hot. My DH says he freezes (but he gets to sleep as soon as his head hits the pillow, while it takes me a good while to get to sleep). He cranks the air warmer and I try to go behind him and turn the air cooler at bedtime. In warmer weather, I use sheet and sometimes kick that off. I have a thin cotton bedspread over that and a folded quilt at the foot of the bed. DH pulls up all the bedding but using light, breathable bedding and sleepwear, I can manage with just the sheet. I feel for your family. DH complains to everybody that I'm trying to freeze him out and sometimes he gets mad. I just tell him there is a difference in being cold and not being able to breathe.

I was constantly hot and sweating a lot when I first got sick. I found having a fan blow on me helped a lot. Just having the ac on was not always enough, but the circulation from the fan made a big difference. I also went through a lot of ice packs, I would fall asleep with one on my chest.

I have major issues with this as well, and aside from having the air conditioning sitting on "freezing cold", I sleep with an ice pack under my pillow. If I don't do this, I wake up drenched in sweat, and can't get back to sleep. Yuck :) sorry to everyone who has to deal with this, as it is not fun.