Chiari Malformation Which Scan Needed?

Juat a quick question for people on here, i am due to have an MRI scan with contrast for CM. I am just wondering as i had posted a while back about having bad reactions to the dye and some one else has also just posted this.

Is it possible to have CT scan or any other type of imaging, so you do not have to have the contrast injected. I tend to usually not do well on any new meds so i am concerned.

Any feedback welcomed.

Diagnosing a Chiari malformation does not require contrast administration in my opinion. If I were you I would have a non-contrast MRI. They can examine your whole brain but just don't administer gadolinium. MRI also avoids the radiation of CT and is higher anatomic detail.

What are they looking for other than CM? Why are they administering contrast? I would just decline the contrast.

A Sagittal T1 sequence is the most useful for Chiari and almost MRI performed includes this sequence.

Discuss it with your doc or radiologist.

Diagnosing a Chiari malformation does not require contrast administration in my opinion. If I were you I would have a non-contrast MRI. They can examine your whole brain but just don't administer gadolinium. MRI also avoids the radiation of CT and is higher anatomic detail.

What are they looking for other than CM? Why are they administering contrast? I would just decline the contrast.

A Sagittal T1 sequence is the most useful for Chiari and almost MRI performed includes this sequence.

Discuss it with your doc or radiologist.

Thank you for your reply.

Im really reluctant to have the MRI with contrast for 3 reasons.

1. I had an MRI performed 9 months ago WITHOUT contrast but it was under the care of a nuerogastro consultant who i no longer see, but he is still copied into my notes.

2. I am paying for this and they have quoted me £2500 which considering i have spent nearly £20,000 in the lst 4 years to find a diagnosis of Pots i am really reluctant if its not necessary.

3. The dye obviously is not good for me having low BP and being on Midodrine.

My new nuero consultant said to me he is just checking for Chiari Malformation. So should i have my old scan just sent to his PA?