Good Orthostatic Hypotension Article From The Cleveland Clinic

Wendy C.

I stumbled across this good article while researching:

http://www.ccjm.org/content/77/5/298.full

It has a lot of great info on orthostatic hypotension, including many of the treatments they recommend. Most of the stuff has been discussed on the forum before in pieces, but this is a good summation. I even learned a few things. In addition to planning on trying abdominal binding, since leg compression isn't enough for me, I tried the quicker drinking of water tip today (rather than continual sipping like I usually do) and it helped several times. I hope this article helps someone else!

Wendy

Informative post. I had not known about ingesting that much sodium- I take about 4g extra a day. Sounds like a lot though-10-20g, doesn't it?

Am going to try drinking the cold water fast on my next trip out. I too always sip and have a bottle on hand. Thanks .

Thanks Wendy.

Excellent resource.

LMG, my dr didn't realize how much 10 g of salt really means until I showed him. Then he told me to ...do my best. My poor stomach is at war with me now. :wacko: and I'm nowhere near consuming 10 g a day.

Alex

Yes, I was thinking that salt amount was high, too. I take 7-8 salt tabs per day, along with 40oz of Gatorade, salty Cheetos or popcorn for snacks, plus whatever salt is in my meals and I think I am still under 10 grams! I am fortunate that it doesn't tear up my stomach, especially if I take the salt tabs with food.

The water guzzling has helped again today. I took my toddler with me to the grocery store and got through it alright, since I drank about 10 ounces before getting out of the car and again when we got back in. I feel it starting to work after 3-5 minutes and it lasts maybe an hour. It is always nice to find something that works, especially something simple and natural!

I have hyperPOTS...wonder how the binder and salt loading would help. I don't need to worry about supine HTN since I drop upon lying down. Ironically, salt helps me feel so much better. I want to start taking salt tablets and possibly potassium but am unsure of doses. Can anyone offer advice on that...?