Midodrine As Needed???

Happy to report that I am totally off the Klonopin and throught the w/d! Yeah! Lasted about 2 1/2 weeks for me.

Of course, I'm now in my "witching week" -- the week before my period is due, and, in my typical fashion, my bp has tanked and I'm having near syncope episodes. This morning I woke up and my bp was 87 / 47. Ugh. This despite increase salt intake, increased fluid intake, and compression hose (15 - 20 mmHg). Timely enough, my first abdominal binder arrived today so I'm trying that.

Since I still want to get off the Florinef, and plan to do so, I'm thinking of trialing Midodrine to use on an "as needed" basis. My bp, energy, and stability seem to be ok the other 3 weeks of the month, so I'm thinking Midodrine (with its quick in, quick out) way of functioning might just be the ticket. And, I would take it just the couple of days that I get symptomatic during the month.

Has anyone used Midodrine this way? I have a call into my PCP to see if she would consider it. I've never tried it, and am usually super sensitive to meds so I'm think a micro dose just to get me functional on these days.

As long as your doctor agrees with this plan, this is something that I've done myself (after talking about it with my cardiologist). I had to make sure to check my BP regularly, especially if I wanted to lie down after taking the midodrine as your BP can go too high while lying down if it's in effect. This drug is supposed to last just a few hours, so it's easy to titrate if your doc agrees that it's safe for you to do so.

I think I've read that you can do that.

Thankful- how often do you have to take your bp on midodrine? My new dr wants me to retry it. My first go round my bp went up and having to check my bp so often made me seem to worry about it more :/

Thanks for the responses. My PCP did agree to give it a whirl -- 2.5 mg 3x a day as needed. We basically agreed that I can / should use it on days where either I'm symptomatic (at whatever #) or if I'm running under 100 / 60. Today I've been struggling to get above 90/50 (grrrr....) and it feels like it!!

So I took a dose at 3:00. By 4:00 still running the same, then had an appointment so didn't take it again until 6:00 -- then, woa, 114/64!!!! But now it's 7:30 and I'm back down to 90/50 (rrrrr....). Looks like that's probably my timing -- in and out in about 3 to 4 hours. Will try it again tomorrow if I am running low in the a.m. (at 90/50 before bed, how could I not??) :)

Just no clue why this happens the week before my period, and my doc is stumped too. Wish we could get at the root cause instead of just the symptom....but I guess until I get into Cleveland Clinic.....