Son Has Mcas

We got back from seeing Dr Afrin yesterday, appointment was Monday. My son does have MCAS and we are starting treatment of Claritan and Pepcid twice a day. Hopefully this will help his POTS since that is so severe. The doctor spent a long time with us going over his entire health history. We got there an hour early and got taken early for our appointment. We give him and his nurse 2 thumbs up!

The doctor says his POTS is a result of the MCAS so maybe by treating the MCAS the POTS will improve. The doctor also gave us two prescriptions for anti-nausea medications that other doctors we have seen have not known about to prescribe even though I inquired about them. We are trying phenergen(sp?) first and if that doesn't help we will try Ativan.

When the doctor scratched my son's back there was a deep red line that remained for several minutes. I had tried this test on him at home, but tried it on his arm without that result. The doctor also believes that the trigger for all of this was an absessed tooth my son had in the third grade that made all of his lymph nodes in his body swell. My sons health started going down hill in the fifth grade. While he doesn't have proof of this, he thinks this is the cause.

RichgotPots,

Based on the symptoms he presents, the scratch on his back and his entire history the doctor is confident mast cell is playing a part. He did take 12 viles of blood and did a 24 hour urine test. Those results won't be in for some time. Also, the fact that he has had positive results with doxepin in the past which has anti-histamine in it. For MCAS, sometimes the blood and urine tests can come back negative and still have mast cell issues going on.

Christy

RichgotPots,

Based on the symptoms he presents, the scratch on his back and his entire history the doctor is confident mast cell is playing a part. He did take 12 viles of blood and did a 24 hour urine test. Those results won't be in for some time. Also, the fact that he has had positive results with doxepin in the past which has anti-histamine in it. For MCAS, sometimes the blood and urine tests can come back negative and still have mast cell issues going on.

Christy

Does he have bad breathing problems?

Lyn

Dr Afrin spent about 1hr 45 minutes with us. We arrived early and were taken early, I don't know if that is always the case. Right after the appointment my son had to do blood tests, same building and floor the doctor is on. Don't take any NSAIDS 5 to 7 days before the appointment, I don't know why but it was asked at the appointment. Then the next morning he had to do a 24 hour urine test. The urine had to stay cold, so we bought a styrofoam cooler and filled it with ice to transport it. He was adament about keeping it cold.

So our appointment was on Monday, and we left South Carolina first thing Wednesday morning after turning in the urine collection.

I brought a copy of all my sons records, all medications he has ever taken for POTS and why he no longer took them, and a health history. He went through everything thoroughly.

Christy