Blood Pressure And Tremors Increase When Eating?

kclynn

We have noticed an increase in tremors for my son during and immediately following eating. Today I gave him a light meal (two lasange rolls and 4 oz papaya juice) We haven't figured out any triggers and I usually pay attention to msg, use organic food, no hfcs, etc.. I decided to take his BP during this time to see if there was anything happening. I expected it to go down but it went up! His pulse stayed in the 60's. I took the first reading immediately before he started and then over 45 minutes.

5:15 112/67

5:25 130/78

5:40 141/79

6:00 122/71

Is this normal? I just hadn't expected it. His nausea was also increasing as he was eating as usual. Anyone else have this?

He takes Midodrine, Florinef, Clonodine and supplements. He has had the tremors even before meds and they got better over summer and have been back for several months.

Thanks!

My HR and BP go up dramatically after eating carbohydrates and I get severe tremors, jitteriness, and anxiety. My cardiologist told me it is because of insulin. It is secreted in large amounts after eating any amount of carbohydrates. Insulin is a very potent vasodilator, especially in the gut where a lot of us tend to pool. The adrenaline is released afterwards to try to constrict the vessela which is why the BP goes up.I encourage you to do this test- fix him bacon and eggs and water only to drink and do the same vitals. I guarantee you will not have the same change in HR and blood pressure. A lot of people with pots think they have problems after eating because of either hypotension or redistribution of blood to the stomach to help with digestion. Those are actually uncommon and most of us, in my opinion and my doctors opinion, cannot handle even small amounts of Insulin. the reaction we get to eating is not because it is a big meal but because carbohydrates are in it. Does your son often feel better pots wise when it has been a few hours since he ate? I only tolerate proteins in the morning and afternoons. If I eat a thing with sugar in it, even natural ones, before 2:00 I'm am sick with adrenaline. Try the protein test.:)

I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this. I don't know much about your situation, except that I used to do this also after I ate. My autonomic system was so messed up at the time, or at least more than it is now. I was told that your blood pressure does go up an hour or so after eating because of the digestion that's taking place. Even though the doctor told me this, it didn't feel like a normal reaction, especially since I had been eating 42 years at the time and never felt like this. And your son's blood pressure numbers were similar to my numbers also. I did notice even a little bit of sugar, even juice, could make it a little bit worse for me. Like I said I couldn't have any juice or anything that had a tiny bit of sugar in it for about three years or this would happen. It sounds like you are feeding him very well and good foods. What a good mom. I was always into organic fruits and veges before I got sick. It was hard to give up and I used to worry about not getting those vitamin. I also had to give up oatmeal for 4 years and just recently reintroduced it back into my diet a few weeks ago. I also, after 3 or 4 years am able to drink juice again, but I only put a tiny bit of fruit in it. If I add papaya, which is so good for a person, I only add about two teaspoons raw since it is naturally high in sugar. Maybe when it's broke down it might be too much for a sensitive person. But when I was in the middle of the trauma of this situation, it sometimes didn't matter what I ate, this bp situation would happen. I had an undiagnosed fungal infection at the time that lead to autonomic neuropathy, orthostatic intolerance, and now mast cell activation disorder. It might have been a combination of all the above. May I ask, does he have POTS or a different type of dysautonomia? Bless his heart. I feel bad for him. I remember it wasn't fun.

I've gotten a lot of relief from the orthostatic hypertension after meals by avoiding tyramines. Tyramines have been linked to high blood pressure after eating, and with migraines as well. It's hard, but cutting out all aged cheese (I can still eat cream cheese and cottage cheese), chocolate, processed meat (sausage, pepperoni, ham, etc) has really helped with the chest pain and hypertension I'd get after eating.