Is It Dangerous For Us To Fall Asleep Sitting Up?

jangle

In the past I've noticed it's nearly impossible for me to sleep sitting up, as I get more sleepy my brain will shoot this massive wave of lightheadedness my way almost causing me to pass out. However, if I use a pillow I have sometimes been able to fall asleep sitting up.

My question is, is this dangerous for us? If our brain's weren't getting enough blood, would it wake us from sleep? Sometimes I've woken up with my head feeling numb.

Very interesting question! I actually started wondering this, too, as I had an awful episode on a flight on Monday. I was feeling pretty good and went to sleep (as I always do when I travel since I have terrible motion sickness), and I woke up to a pulse of 130+ and extreme nausea and tremulousness. So I'm curious as to whether the reaction was so bad because I wasn't awake to catch it earlier, if the severity had to do with sleeping sitting up and something not balancing out properly.

There was a recent post on fainting while asleep - I wonder if the two are connected? When I used to drift off while upright (back in the days when I spent more time upright) I would jerk awake with an adrenaline surge feeling. Interesting question. I also would wake up feeling like I was dying on occasion, spinning, gasping for air, almost paralized feeling (like they were talking about in the other post).

Will be interesting to see what others say! Thanks for posting!

Good question, but with a lot of the associated GI disturbances many are advised to elevate the head of the bed.

With the medication I'm on to try to get me hypertensive, it warns against taking it and napping and I'm narcoleptic. Says it can make your BP too high/stroke in your sleep. I would think a lot of people nap lying down or back in recliner. I lay on pillow at night (but don't take my Midodrine after 5 p.m.). My BP is still running low but they're still working on things (increasing it to 10 mg 3 X day from 5mg--and am currently at 25 mg but still fainted this morning on kitchen floor making Christmas dinner. I also am supposed to keep my legs elevated as much as I can due to blood/fluid pooling/retention but being a side/stomach sleeper, I can't elevate the legs in bed at night. I would not think a small pillow would hurt at all.