Adaptive P.e.

mully2014

Last year in school I didn't take a PE class because of my condition. I ended last year in a wheelchair and I'm still in it this school year. The school wanted me to start doing workouts at home with my mom supervising to get the credits for PE. It was too hard doing the workouts all of the time at home after school when I was already exhausted and fatigued. SO that takes me to the revised IEP...now I'm going to be doing adaptive PE two times a week with a one on one teacher. I know I will be doing weight training (lots of lifting weights). And they are ordering a heart rate monitor which is a bra that has two sensors in it and then you wear the watch.

I'm wondering what other peoples experience with adaptive PE is? What you do?

Thanks!

Adaptive PE is a physical education class based on the goals of your IEP. Since you will have it one-on-one, this could be a great benefit to you. I would definitely have the PE teacher consult with your doctor about what exercises/activities would be beneficial and appropriate for you. Hopefully you have a wonderful PE teacher who will work with you and your doctor.

Best of luck,

Kate

Thanks, I do have a great PE teacher who understands what my doctor would like for me to be doing. Yeah I was a little worried about the time limit but he seems to be understanding enough to give the credit if something were to come up or if I wasn't feeling well but still trying to get in the exercise for the class.

Adaptive P.E. tends to be whatever is designated in your IEP so it's different for everyone. My daughter had to drop her gym class which was the first one she had taken since 5th grade. Do whatever you can when it comes to exercise but don't overdo it either. The school needs to know that there's a fine line for you in needing to exercise but not pushing your body too far.

Christy-thank you so much for the info concerning your son getting credit for gym. We have a swimming pool and I'm going to talk to Liz's teacher concerning getting a credit for p.e. She was in physical therapy for over 3 years so I'm also going to check if it's possible to get any credit for that. My daughter is a little worried about not graduating on time and every credit helps!

Brenda