Low Diastolic Blood Pressure?

kmichaelson

Hi everyone, Sorry if this is something that's been discussed, but I couldn't find it in any past threads. I've recently started midodrine and noticed that my systolic blood pressure has risen from the low range (used to be 80-90 and is now 90-120), but my diastolic blood pressure is still pretty low (anywhere from 40s-60s).

I know that diastolic bp is the pressure when your heart is not beating, but what does that mean as far as POTS and symptoms go? I have to say, I've felt different, but not exactly better on midodrine so far--it's almost like I have more nervous energy sometimes, but I still have the weakness, shakiness, dizziness, and overall fatigue/crappiness as usual!

Also, I've seen posts about many people have LOW pulse pressure, but it would seem that mine is really pretty high since my diastolic is so low but my systolic is pretty normal. I guess I would be averaging a pulse pressure of about 60 now where it used to be more like 30.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what this change might indicate and if it's a sign that midodrine is helping or not. Does anyone else have this kind of bp reading, or could anyone tell me what it might indicate is going on? Thanks in advance!

When I first started Midodrine 5mg 3xday, I experienced similar symptoms with the side effects as you all felt, but this leveled off after 3 weeks. For me, it was well worth it, because without the Midodrine, I could barely walk and was predominately chair, couch & bed bound. Once on Midodrine along with Mestinon, I was able to walk again, returned to work full time and have some type of life. I would suggest that if you continue to experience little change after 3-4 weeks, I would give your doctor a call. Good luck. :)