Kidney Aches

Lenna

My son complains a lot about pain in his kidneys. It comes and goes but lately it's been worse than usual. Does anyone else deal with this? (He has low-flow POTS, has low blood volume, has normal-to-low blood pressure). He is on Losarten and Florinef, but the kidney pain began before he started taking those meds. Should he see a nephrologist?

Thanks!

Lenna,

I had to have emergency surgery to remove a kidney stone in 2009 (it was lodged and made my kidney fail temporarily). I have continued to have periodic kidney pain since then and the docs have not been able to find out why (but other than pain, I have no ill effects). They can't even identify additional stones that might be the problem. I ignored the pain for several days before I ended up going to the ER and I was in big trouble by the time I went. I would at least have it checked out so you can be sure nothing serious is wrong. I had never had stones prior to that and I didn't know how serious it could get.

Katie