Has Anyone Used Antibiotics To Treat Their Autoimmune Disease?

Annaliese

Thanks for posting this! I was treated for a little over a year from 2008-2009 with heavy doses of oral antibiotics for my tick-borne illness (not autoimmune) but it was the only time I felt better. Every time I would come off the anitbiotics, I would start to feel sick again within 7-14 days. Over time my symptoms have clearly gotten worse again. When I would tell any docs besides my Lyme doc that I only felt well on the antibiotics, they looked at me like I was asking for heroine. My Lyme doc is now a stay at home mom, so not getting any from her. But, I really do feel like there is something to this. ALL of my symptoms were better on the antibiotics.

Rheumatologists will sometimes prescribe sulfasalzine for RA and Lupus because it works on the immune system as well as being an antibiotic. There is so much overlap with all kinds of drugs and the immune system, it is amazing. They have recently discovered the antidepressant Wellbutrin is also a TNF inhibitor. You would never guess that if you weren't looking for it. The immune system is so complex scientists haven't even scratched the surface.