I Have To Reduce Florinef - Question About Weaning Off It

abnel

I have been taking 0.1mg Florinef since March this year with some success. It has consideraby reduced the pre-syncope and light-headedness I was experiencing over summer and also helped a bit with my heat intolerance.

As the months have progressed, I've been loosing more and more potassium, to the point where I am now supplementing with 6-8 potassium tablets per day. To give you an idea of how much potassium this is, in I think John Hopkins' publication on POTS, they recommend supplementing with 1 potassium tablet to every 0.1mg of Florinef that is taken.

My doctor has strongly advised me to start weaning down to 0.05mg Florinef.

Can anyone share any tips on the best way to start weaning off it? I am anxious about this because I was prescribed 0.2mg initially and was on this for only 1 week but due to intracranial pressure had to come off it immediately. When I came off it so suddenly it caused awful adrenal surges, tachycardia and my severe chest pressure returned.

On another note, I have been prescribed some Chinese herbs by a Chinese doctor and they contain licorice root extract. I have been putting off taking these until my potassium levels returned to normal, I was thinking of delaying taking them once I've weaned back to 0.05mg Florinef. My doctor tells me lictorice can increase potassium and that the herbs may actually work well with Florinef to stabilise my potassium loss. However, from all my reading licorice root can reduce potassium levels, especially when taken with corticosteroids. Does anyone know if licorice increases or reduces potassium??