Metoprolol - Burning Feet, Facial Flushing; Pots Docs In Ok

ACB

Part one: My cardiologist started me on 25mg metoprolol ER succinate 2x/day about 2.5 weeks ago. While my HR has been 20-30 BPM lower than it was, as far as overall POTS symptoms, I've had ups and downs (generally the same as I usually do) since beginning it. However, last week, one evening I had some pretty strong facial flushing, followed by burning feet. Now, I've had facial flushing in the past, so that's not new to my symptom cashe. But, the burning feet is totally new and the extreme opposite of a symptom I have all.the.time, which is cold feet - often painfully cold.

Part two: After 8 months of seeing various docs, including several cardiologists in the Oklahoma City metro area, I finally got a POTS diagnosis late last Feb. I'm currently seeing a cardiologist in OKC who is managing my POTS (see part one). However, he has a limited understanding of POTS and treatment and I'd obviously like to see someone who gets it and who is up on recent research and is in Oklahoma. Is that too much to ask?!? Probably.

I'm interested in any feedback or suggestions on these topics!

I don't know anything about metoprolol, but I do know some about doctors in Oklahoma! My main POTS doctor is in Dallas, but that is about 5 hours away from me. I only see him every couple of months or so, but for more urgent stuff, I have a pretty good cardio in my home town (a small town near Tulsa) who knows some about POTS, and recently went to a lecture on POTS. I've found that having my Dallas dr who is really up on all the new research and treatments, combined with having a local doctor who is fairly knowledgeable about POTS has been my best bet. Hope you find a good doctor soon! :)

Hi there, i cant comment on the meds, but you might want to try and find out the underlying cause to the pots. flushing can be a specific sign of a cause of pots which has to do with mast cells, and the burning feet can be a symptom of neuropathy.

Thanks for the replies! I wish I had a PCP close to OKC who knew some about POTS. Glad to hear that you do, PotsyTurvy!

And, yes, I have an appointment at Mayo for a week's worth of testing at the end of October to get a better idea of what's going on. I do have some symptoms that are consistent with MCAD, so it makes me uneasy to even be trying this beta blocker. From what I've read, they can trigger problems with mast cells in some people. I doubt my cardio knows this.