Post-Episode Fatigue - What Helps?

jennyg97

I am new to the forum but am looking forward to learning from your experiences. I was dxed with POTS with neurally-mediated hypotension nearly 15 years ago. I had a pacemaker implanted, which has helped a lot and brought me several periods of relative stability, but recently I have taken a huge and inexplicable nosedive. I have episodes nearly every day, although I am normally able to abort them and prevent full out fainting most of the time, so I only faint about once every week or two. However, I'm really struggling with the post-episode fatigue which lays me flat and makes me feel as though it's impossible even to hold my head up. Unfortunately, the severity of the fatigue is actually greater when I don't go into a full faint. Has anyone found anything that helps recover more quickly? Assuming, of course, that this is common...

I'm on atenolol, taking as much salt in as possible through tablets and table salt, and exercising whenever possible (which feels good at the moment but causes extreme fatigue and chills 2-3 hours later). (On a side note, I was running/walking 8 miles a day when I started the backslide.) I am not able to tolerate florinef at this time due to bone density problems.

Any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated.

Jenny

PS Also, any thoughts on Mayo Clinic?

hi jennyg97,

welcome to the forum! can't actually help you with your questions but would like to advise you to have a good look at the website as there is a lot of info which might be of help. do ask all your questions, i'm sure they will be answered by our very experienced members.

take care,

corina :)

I have the same problem, though not quite as severe; I'm still able to more or less function to an extent. Every day I have near-fainting episodes, and it really drags me down the rest of the day. I've found that if I rest for a while and then eat something light, I feel a bit better. Especially if I've actually fainted. I usually don't feel hungry, and in fact I often feel nauseous and don't want to eat, but I eat something small anyway and it seems to help a little. Getting some kind of electrolyte-filled drink in my system also seems to help. Maybe something like that could work for you. I hope you get to feeling better!