The Best Scooter??

Kyler

I am going to get a scooter for my son but I am having a hard time picking the best one for us. The travel scoot is definitely the smallest and has really good reviews but is unable to go in grass or gravel due to the drive system - I am very upset because I love everything else about it. I am looking for the experience of others. We need a portable and small but durable and versatile scooter. You experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Scooters that have the bigger all terrain wheels will also require a vehicle to carry them in as they do not fold. Power wheelchairs with the all-terrain wheels are also heavy and require a vehicle to hold them. If you are going that route you need to determine whether he needs a seat that reclines or tilt-in-space. Again they all are heavy and require a lift to get them into vehicles and vehicle large enough to handle them. Only you can determine how often it will be used and whether the investment in vehicles is worth it.

Assuming you have a vehicle and are going this route, you can try Craigslist for scooter and then research those you find. You will need to be mechanically inclined to service them or hook up with a local dealer who can sell you new batteries, etc.

If grass and gravel is only a problem once or twice a month, you might consider using a wheelchair for those times or a rollator with 8 inch wheels for outdoor use - one that could be used by him and or pushed by you. http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-product.asp?product_id=5090

I have an Invacare travel scooter that works well in grass & gravel. It comes apart and fits in the trunk of my car. It's too heavy for me to lift, so I have to have someone with me to load, unload, and put it together. My hubby or daughter can do it with ease. I really like it.

sam-

do you have the three or four wheel model? It is wonderful that you have people to take it apart and assemble it for you. I had heard on a few models that people weren't happy with battery longevity - can't go for several hours at a craft fair, etc. - and they weren't able to get add'l batteries. Do you have any experiences like this - good or bad.

I have the four wheeled type. My battery lasts a long time. I have used it for four to five hours at a time without needing recharged. It never even got in the red. So far, I haven't had any trouble with battery life. My doctor wrote the prescription for the scooter to have a basket & it's a good place for my purse. I am thankful for being able to go places with my family.

The reason I want to get him a scooter is to do activities this summer like going to museums and maybe an outdoor event or two if he can tolerate it. I also think that he will need it next year for school because the high school is much larger than the middle school - he is going to attempt 2 classes a day at school instead of just 1. He can only walk for 10 or 15 minutes at a time in a climate controlled area and even less above 75 degrees and he gets fatigued very easily no matter what the temp is. Unfortunately a regular wheel chair wears him out to push it himself and every parking lot or outdoor event is hilly around here - he is 14 but is 6'3 and weighs 220 lbs. he does not need a reclining chair but that would allow him to last longer I have a almost 2 yr. old and I am expecting in Nov. This makes outings very difficult and he craves some independence. I want him to have the closest to a normal childhood as he possibly can and his mobility makes this almost impossible even in air conditioning.

Sam 76 - How did you get your insurance to cover it? Our insurance says that they will only cover it if you need it to perform daily functions for living inside your house - he doesn't need it for in the house. His doctor wrote on a regular perscription paper "scooter - medically needed" but I am pretty certain that they will deny it. I feel hopeless that they will even consider covering it and I am not sure how to even try and get it covered or if I should even try.

Thank you for the input and advice. Please keep it coming.

Serena

My neurologist filled out an in-depth prescription stating the reasons a scooter was medically necessary. I am a teacher, and she wrote on the prescription that I would need the scooter for work at times. She also wrote that I needed it to complete household chores. Her office contacted the medical supply store that my insurance uses, and they came out to measure me. I have a $1500 durable medical equipment coverage, and I can get a scooter paid for every five years. My doctor also explained that I couldn't maneuver a wheelchair because of muscle weakness. She also explained why i couldn't stand for more than ten minutes. My scooter was paid for the first try, no appeal. A regular prescription may not work. It is definitely worth trying to get them to pay for it. A scooter will give him more independence. I felt strange using it at first because people do look and wonder, but I'm fine with it now. Also, if you don't have a disabled parking placard, look into getting one for him. It's nice to have in the summer because you can get in the AC quickly!