Excessive Morning Bms

OK, hate to start everyone's morning with this topic, but we really need help.

My son seems to be on an every-other-week, excessive bowel movement schedule. One week fine....pooping normal. Next week (like this week), it will start on a Monday and he is having soft BMs for hours each morning. By afternoon, fine again. This will go on for 3-4 days. This morning I gave him some Imodium...I'm at a loss. This is his last week of high school classes (finals next week, graduation on May 29). Stress is adding to this too I'm sure!

Last fall we did have motility testing done and he checked out fine.

He is drinking a couple small Gatorades a day, along with lots of water.

Any ideas?

This is my biggest complaint right now. I am trying to find a balance between soluble and insoluble fiber to see if that helps. I bought some acacia powder to add to my diet to increase the soluble part. I definitely think stress is part of it, as well. Discussed it with my neurologist yesterday at my appt and he agreed on working on the diet angle, but also said that motility issues go along with this disease process. Good luck to your son on his finals!

Hi,

Just wanted to add that I suffer in the same way.

My BM were normal and regular until 4 years ago, I would go three times a day regular as clock work. Then that pattern stopped, so I go once or twice a day and then a few days later I will be woken at 4am with really bad cramps and I will pass 8-10 BM between 4am and 11 am. Its exhausting and painful as I have a prolapsed bowel (very small) and this aggravates it. I end up taking loperimide or codeine to stop going.

I saw my gastroenterologist last week who diagnosed me with gastroparesis and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I questioned the IBS as I do not suffer with diarrhea or constipation, just the cramps and the excessive need to go. He told me what I have is a type of IBS which is being caused by my autonomic nervous system just going off and doing its own thing. To me it makes sense.

The autonomic nervous system controls heart rate breathing and digestion, so why wouldn't my digestion be screwed up. The doc explained some days the messages are being transmitted normally and then other days it miss fires.

I am beginning to think that POTS doesn't really come close as a name to describe what people like you and I suffer with when our autonomic nervous system decides to go nuts. I am really starting to think its like we have had some sort of autoimmune attack on our ANS.

Thats my ramblings for today.

Rach

My son has this also except his are usually evenings! Sometimes he can spend so long in the bathroom, an hour or more. He is miserable. He will often have a flushing, sweating, tachycardia episode while in there, too. This has actually been one of his longest symptoms and started when he was about 10, though they were infrequent and the Doctors just shrugged their shoulders and didn't pay any attention, but they didn't see him when he would come out :angry:

He is often very red when he is done. I tried adding miralax (moderate dose) but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

In my personal experience, when I am most sick mast cell activation seems be a prominent feature of my illness. I had chronic diarrhea and nausea for well over a year with this, but last year the pattern would be waking early in the AM with urgent diarrhea that would recur on and off for hours some days.

Taking MCAD meds, particularly the Zantac/Zyrtec combo and Gastrocrom have really decreased this particular problem for me.