Adrenaline Surges With Storms

kclynn

We had a storm last night and my son had terrible adrenaline rushes everytime he saw the lightning or heard/felt the thunder. I could tell he was really suffering. Anyone have suggestions? We try to distract, breathe, but that is so hard when the thunder shakes the house. We had a bad storm with damage a couple weeks ago and his reaction is worse since then.

Distraction! I have no clue if this would work but what if he put on headphones and listened to calming music during a storm? I'm assuming you didn't lose electricity but just to be safe, you could get him a battery operated walkman. I can somewhat relate to being so jumpy b/c I get that way but my adrenal attacks are under control with my beta blocker.

I pray he gets better!

I had a storm also and I felt the same way, I put on my headphones which I started using about a year ago to subject myself to stimuli (since I'm sensitive to noise) and it helps me so much. That has been my new med I do almost everything I am suppose to avoid and I feel stronger. I think the pressure change has something to do with the symptoms...

Lissy

I can't tell you why but wiping myself down with a cool rag works a lot of wonders for me when weird stuff starts flaring up with this condition. It just does something to my body and makes it stop the weird place it starts going. I can be pretty sensitive to stimulation too. I have to avoid looking at things or certain sounds....a misused blackboard would send me to the crazy place! I agree with the other poster about distraction as well.