Cool, Moving Air Reduces Breathlessness

abnel

I came across this article about how to reduce breathlessness using a fan that circulates cool moving air. The theory is that cool air activates the nerves in the face, prompting the body to conserve oxygen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1378224/Could-gust-cool-air-ease-breathlessness.html

I've been using a fan on my face whenever I get into serious breathing difficulty and have found it to be the most effective non-pharmacological measure so far. Unfortunately it doesn't make the breathing issue go away, but gives me a bit of relief. I might also try the cold compress on the face to see if that helps too.

I'd be interested to see whether this helps anyone else and what other non-pharmacological measures you guys take for chronic breathlessness.

Whether it helps anyone else? LOL. When people are in big big trouble and absolutely can't breathe and there's nothing else, what do they do?

You might try cool compresses on your neck, and abdomen, and back and even legs while you're at it. And ice. And just leave them there for a really really long time because you may not feel how much they help at first if you're really bad off.

But you need real pharmacological help as well if you're not breathing.

Life is really much better when you can breathe at all close to normally ...

I thought the suggestion to use a fan seemed rather obvious as it was something I have been doing intuitively since Day 1. I suppose it's somewhat interesting that they think they have found a scientific basis as to why it works. Who knows? Something more might come of this oneday..

I hear you loud and clear about the need for drugs, but unfortunately as far as I'm concerned no doctor is prepared to medicate me specifically for the breathing issue, and certainly won't prescribe Mestinon until I've tried the other first lines of treatment like Florinef and Midodrine.

Are you serious about the ice on the neck, abdomen, etc, or was that just tongue in cheek?