Daily Rhythm Of Salt Ingestion?

I was told by the cardio to Salt Load. Since I have low blood pressure, have been told (by my endo) to take florinef in the past for postural hypotension, and find that salt/electrolyte loading during exercise helps, I thought this made sense and was willing to try it.

The first day I did this-nothing formal but drank things like high sodium broth etc, I felt okay during the day but that night, I felt on the verge of seizures, very hyper-startleable, if anyone knows what I mean by that. I've been feeling that way again this week-coincidentally (or not) I had been having salty popcorn and/or sodium/electrolyte drinks before bed-more salt than normal late at night, in other words.

I thought I saw someone here say something about not taking salt before bed. Is this true? Is there a recommended "circadian rhythm", or day-night pattern for salt intake? My dh is out of town, and the last few nights have been scary, with me pretty much unable to move because every little movement was a huge startle reaction (increased shaking internally-is this adrenaline?- and relatively elevated blood pressure my "baseline" these nights). It seems to peak around 1:30am, and then I am able to fall asleep sometime after that, although one night was really bad and I barely slept, and had nightmares when I did.

I haven't actively salt-loaded since that first time because I was afraid of my "reaction" (although it's quite possible salt wasn't *causative*, I was too afraid to try again), since my husband is out of town so much right now. A few more months, and I'll be moving to a large town with a LOT of doctors (woohoo!), and will try again for some knowledgeable advice. Until then (or even after, as internet boards often know more than doctors anywhere!), you are my font of advice! :)

Thanks for thoughts!

I only salt load in the morning and have never tried to do so in the late aftgernoon or at night. At the time I started this regimen I was okay upon waking but from 10am onwards I'd slowly deteriorate to the point where by 1pm I was very tachy. My doctor told me something about needing extra salt in the AM due to the production of hormones for the day waning by around noon, which is when the extra salt can really help. Sorry this is so vague, I wish I could remember exactly what hormones he was talking about! I find that if I salt load in the morning, I don't need to take much more in the afternoon, although I will still eat some salty food for lunch and dinner.

Maybe try to salt load in the morning and see if this helps? It can take your stomach a while to get used to the increased concentration of salt, especially in the AM(in my case about 3-4 weeks) but once I was used to it I didn't have tummy problems since.

I salt load with drinks and anything salty all day long and yes I do salt load the latest around 9-930pm at night. The rest of the time I just load with plain water throughout the night to keep my blood pressure up. I also salt load before I bathe in the morning along with taking vitamins and Midodrine. I find this works best for me to get going for the day.