Sodium Monitoring

How do your docs monitor your sodium intake? My serum sodium ranges low to high depending on the time of day and fluid intake (low on dDAVP and high when it quits in the afternoon and early morning.) I have seen several studies that mention a 24 hour urine sodium of at least 170 mEq/24hr/mg/dl as a target for POTS patients. My 24 hr. urine sodium was 66.8. The last doc I saw wanted me to up my sodium so that I don't have the low serum levels on the dDAVP and try to get my plasma volume up, but I know those levels are going to swing high twice a day.

Any experience or words of wisdom on how to gauge this? I've never tried florinef and my other docs are hesitant due to kidney issues.

I just had a doc check a 24 hour urine sodium last week for the first time. Mine was 50 and he was not happy. Said he wanted it over 170. My serum sodium is consistently 136.

Seems like a 24 hour urine test would be a better indicator of the average including highs and lows for the 24 hour period as I assume a plasma level is reflective of the particular moment in time that it's drawn?

The urine test is supposed to be a pretty good indicator of your daily sodium intake. The serum sodium is a spot check of your "working" electrolytes and for us, volume status.

My serum Na was 133, it has been anywhere from 132-148 depending on the time of day and hydration. I've upped my Thermotabs and tried to up my salt intake, but I get super thirsty and nauseated. I'm taking my estrogen again and the daily weight swings are not as large as they were and I am up 8 pounds from where I was 2 weeks ago (all water.) I'm supposed to get better control of my serum sodium levels, but unless I get a blood draw several times a day over several days and collect every drop of urine, I'm not sure how I'm going to do this!

I agree with Chaos and my Neurologist that says the 24 hour sodium urine test is more accurate. You try to collect as much you can in a 24 hour period. The serum sodium only detects sodium level in the blood and can fluctuate constantly d/t how much food & fluid you take in daily and how you are feeling that day. I take Theratabs, drink salt water and salt everything too to help with my sodium intake.

Good luck and I say go for the 24 hour urine.:rolleyes: