Salt And Fluids

GApotsie

All 3 of my doctors stress "high salt" diet and lots of fluids with Florinef. I've never been told how much I should be consuming daily. How much do you intake?

In the beginning I titrated my water to my symptoms and that equates to 4L (or more) per day. YES....that's 4000mL or ~120 oz, however you want to look at it. My doc told me to supplement with Powerade ZERO (b/c it has no sugar) for every 3rd 20 oz I drink. However, I have bad GERD and this doesn't sit well with my stomach so I dilute it with water....go figure, lol! And I don't drink the Powerade daily. I also try to add salt to my food but have always been a "low salt" eater. Interestingly, I must be careful with the salt b/c when I have Dysautonomia symptoms and I'm orthostatic, my BP goes UP not down (along with high HR). But if the salt helps me hang on the the water, my BP will eventually go down. It's weird and backwards but I'm so thankful I don't have the fainting spells that so many here have.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Shields from the Cleveland Clinic said to drink at least 2 liters of fluid a day. I make a mixture of salt water; 1 teaspoon of salt to a pint of water. You can add a teaspoon of sugar to cut the salt taste and works just as well. I also drink power drinks (gatorade, vitamin water) along with fruit juices, 1-2% milk, yogurt smoothies, etc...I also supplement with salt tablets if I need to help keep my blood pressure up. I do eat snacks with salt along with salting foods that I eat. I am glad to hear Florinef is working for you. I wasn't able to tolerate it. I am on Mestinon 60mg 3xday & Midodrine 5mg 3xday. Good luck with your fluid & salt intake.