Gluten

kayjay

I know that I have mentioned this before but I wanted to let everyone who might have some of the same problems that I do ( IBS, Fibro, Reynalds, Hyper POTS, vertigo, migraines, CFS, etc) ... That not eating any gluten for several months has helped all of my symptoms.

It takes a long time but I am sure now that I do better off of it. I have gone on and off of gluten for the past 7 months or so. For the last 2 1/2 months I have been completely gluten free. The results take a long time. Last night we went out to eat and our waitress assured me that my dish was gluten and wheat free. I asked if they used flour in the sauce she told me "no" and that she would double check with the kitchen. So anyway this morning I was so sick... I felt like I had been run over by a truck. I called and spoke to the manager and found that they use wheat flour in the dish I ate.

I just wanted to share this because I have been sick for a long time... at least since my first child was born ( and she is 12).

Gluten free is not as hard as I thought it would be... But I think it takes a few months before you feel better.

I never had positive blood work for celiac and had to figure this out on my own. I hope this helps someone else. I did go though an independent lab ( it was pricey) They said I clearly had Celiac. If you want this info PM me. I don't want to advertise for them.

Hi Kayjay - I have been trying to avoid gluten too, although I have not succeeded in going totally gluten free. I think it does tie into POTS somehow for me, although I used to be able to tolerate it. My problem is that I am still at the stage where I can't stand up for long, and I either have to get myself something to eat quickly or wait for someone to get me something to eat. My husband and friends have been cooking for our family, and it's harder than usual to control what I eat. There seems to be gluten in so many things - can you suggest any resources that can help me find easy things to eat at this point that don't contain gluten?

Sarah, I know I am feeling better. Now I can shop myself. 6 months ago my mom had to take me to the store ( before that I couldn't even go...and I never would have been able to read lables. A lot of just plain food is gluten free.

Just no wheat, barley, hops and oats I think. I bought the book "Gluten free For Dummies" I think the author's name is Danna Korn. I have read about 10 other books, but this one was easy and a good reference. I really focus on what I like that I can eat... Then I don't feel overwhelmed.

A lot of gluten free food tastes bad so if you are craving something specific like pasta... pm me and I will tell you what I like. I have tossed MANY things in the trash ( or fed them to my dogs).

Many Amys products are gluten free. I started eating annies our glutino mac and cheese. Take your time. I was mostly G free for 6 months but the last 2.5 months I went whole hog. big improvement!

I hope this helps you. I wish my POTS would go away... but at the same time I am so glad to have less pains, migraines, no IBS, and I take fewer naps. I also have almost zero vertigo.

I know if you have celiac even a crumb can hurt you but by being careful I am able to know I have a gluten problem.

Be careful with salad dressings and sauces. Also look online if you are in doubt. Good luck. Let me know if I can help you more.

Also Mighty Mouse gave me wonderful help with food ideas. I would check with others so you don't waste $ on food that tastes horrible!