Compression Ratings

POTSdad

What compression rating do you use for compression stockings?

My 18-year old daughter has used 30-40 waist high stockings for the last 4 months. Initially they seemed to help quite a bit, although now it seems that the 30-40 stockings are not as effective anymore (even brand new pairs). So we are going to go get her a pair of thigh high 40-50 stockings.

I read a testimonial of a POTS patient that got significantly better when they switched from a 30-40 to 40-50. We figure it is worth a try.

The other reason we are switching is that we found out our insurance will no longer cover 30-40 stocking. They will only cover stocking with a minimum compression of 40.

My daughter has also been helped significantly with an abdominal binder, especially during the 2 weeks every month when her pelvic pain gets extreme. We will continue with that.

I use 30-40 on good days. On days when I have to be on my feet more, or around my period, I wear 40-50. I have a pair with and a pair without abdominal compression. When I need it, it helps a lot. Otherwise, it's pretty darn uncomfortable. The 40-50 are much harder to get on and off, and chafe more if they get bunch up. But they definitely make a difference. I feel instantly better with them on, and instantly worse when I take them off. I think mine are juzo and latex free. They do make going to the bathroom a bit of an ordeal.

What compression rating do you use for compression stockings?

My 18-year old daughter has used 30-40 waist high stockings for the last 4 months. Initially they seemed to help quite a bit, although now it seems that the 30-40 stockings are not as effective anymore (even brand new pairs). So we are going to go get her a pair of thigh high 40-50 stockings.

I read a testimonial of a POTS patient that got significantly better when they switched from a 30-40 to 40-50. We figure it is worth a try.

The other reason we are switching is that we found out our insurance will no longer cover 30-40 stocking. They will only cover stocking with a minimum compression of 40.

My daughter has also been helped significantly with an abdominal binder, especially during the 2 weeks every month when her pelvic pain gets extreme. We will continue with that.

I can not give you any advice about increading the level of compression stockings but wonder if you have ever looked to Pelvic Congestion Syndrome for the pelvic Pain. Dr. Peter Rowe (I think that is how you spell his name) who is a POTS treating pediatricain at John Hopkins believes it can be a contributing factor to POTS. The good news about this is that there is a simple procedure that can be done that has been shown to help. It is call a left Ovarian Vein Embolization. When you mentioned your daughters pelvic pain is sounded like something I have had to deal with. Anyway I just wanted to mention it.

I can not give you any advice about increading the level of compression stockings but wonder if you have ever looked to Pelvic Congestion Syndrome for the pelvic Pain. Dr. Peter Rowe (I think that is how you spell his name) who is a POTS treating pediatricain at John Hopkins believes it can be a contributing factor to POTS. The good news about this is that there is a simple procedure that can be done that has been shown to help. It is call a left Ovarian Vein Embolization. When you mentioned your daughters pelvic pain is sounded like something I have had to deal with. Anyway I just wanted to mention it.

Thank you nunntrio,

Yes, we did read Dr. Peter Rowe's material on PCS (Pelvic Congestion Syndrome). We already have a referral to an interventional radiologist that treats PCS. I would like to discuss PCS more, so I'll start another topic/thread on PCS.

Thanks