Lipomas And Unusual Fatty Tissue Gain With Pain.

issie

I think I may have stumbled on to another piece of my puzzle.

I'm not sure I qualify for this syndrome but possibly. I have about 6 lipomas that are growing and are painful. I am overweight and have a time losing it despite a real strict diet. I have alot of pain and always say even my skin hurts. With this syndrome there is a leaking from the veins that causes inflamation in the fatty tissues that then forms lipomas to encapulate the inflamation and also there is alot of fluid build up in the tissues from the inflamation. It is considered very rare. One of the interesting things is according to the Dercum Society news page - you are told to exercise but then this causes more inflamation and also you have an inability to lose weight. You have chronic pain and are sensitive to heat. Swelling goes along with it, stiffness, tirdness and fibromyalgia also headaches. (There is also one form of this syndrome that only mainifest with the lipomas and no weight gain.)

When I went to Mayo last - the doctor noticed a really big enlarged area on my leg below my knee. It almost looks like it should be my calf, but it's more on the front of my leg. MRI's showed fatty growth tissue not encapsulated. Another sign.

I know of one other girl that has POTS and also has the lipomas.

How many others have them? Could there be another connection with the POTS?

I have a couple things that my PCP has diagnosed as lipomas but I haven't had any studies to verify that. Also, mine seem to get worse with exercise and almost disappear at times when I've had to be more sedentary. They certainly look like lipomas, but they don't seem to act like them. Mine are on my shins. Can't quite figure out why I would have fat tumors on one of the thinnest parts of my body.

So many of the symptoms listed are affiliated with so many things it's hard to know.... I am not overweight. When I'm in a POTS flare I lose weight fairly easily because I lose my appetite.

I have too many lipomas to count. I'm very thin. My father has the same thing, so I assume it is genetic in my case. New ones pop up every few years. My father had one removed because it was pushing on his rib cage and causing irritation. The haven't bothered me in the least. I really have never given them a second thought.