Potsy College Students And Staff- What Sort Of Disability Accommodations Can I Expect In The Us?

Hello; as you may know, I'm coming to th eUS this fall for an academic year. I've been in touch with the university and told them about my POTS, EDS and fibro but I'm not sure what sort of accommodations to expect.

Will they help with physical accommodation- eg dorms, furnishings, equipment etc?

In the UK, every graduate student- even international ones, can access what is called 'disabled students' allowance', which is government funded/ university funded. It allows disabled students to buy equipment they might need such as assistive technology, ergonomic furniture, persona assistance with study needs in the form of a note taker or book carrier.

Is there anything like this in the US?

Any advice? 6 weeks til I go, not sure what to expect...

Usually universities have an "student disabilities office" or "disabilities services" office or something similarly-named. You have to register with that office to receive what are called "reasonable accommodations," so the university is compliant with Section 504 of the "Americans with Disabilities Act."

Usually a university has a ADA compliance officer or diversity officer - some position like that.

The website of the institution you will be attending should have more information about their specific setup.

Good luck in school and have a fun time in the USA.

Hi Kylie,

To add to what Crow said, there should be an office on campus , for us, "office of equal opportunity and access." We do have the ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act, which stipulates that employers have to make "reasonable accommodations," But at least for us, there is no extra funding for this. I know how it works for faculty, but not really for students. I guess you would need to find out if ADA applies to you, as an international student on a fellowship. This is something that Harvard's office should help determine, and seems pretty important to figure out. . As I understand, "reasonable accommodation" is fairly vague. Since I developed issues while I was already employed, the situation was a little different, as the institution had already invested 4 years in me. It could be that the various offices haven't had this situation before, and need to be connected with each other. It's amazing how dumb bureaucracies can be. . At Illinois, we have a dorm that is fully handicapped accessible, Beckwith Hall. Illinois is reputed to be among the better places in the US for students with disabilities. Sorry that isn't more helpful. I did indeed ask here back in 2004 if there were ADA targeted funds, and the answer I got was no. My employer has to find the funds, which is where the fuzziness of "reasonable" comes in. In general in the US, we have far fewer state-supported funds (medical, ADA, daycare, retirement, etc.) than anywhere in Europe.

I'm an undergrad student, and I receive accommodation from the services for students with disabilities for lots of things! They are the ones who make sure you get accommodations in classes and with professors. However, at least where I am (Wisconsin), you have to talk to the dean for things like excuses for classes if you have a hard health day or a doctor appointment, and you need to talk to housing for furniture stuff. If you talk with the SSD first, they can help you with the rest! :( Professors have always been amazingly understanding for me! i hope it's the same for you!

Are you going to a private or public university? Depending on which they have different laws that they must abide to. If you go to a public place, they are required to help you to be best suited with your disability, but if it is a public university they don't necessarily have to, but in most cases will since you are paying them to go there.

Anyways, in my personal experience (I am going to a private university) they accommodate me by giving me the "handicap dorm", where it is wheelchair accessible and has a shower where I can use my shower chair. I also can't have bunk beds since I pass out all the time, so they lowered the amount of roommates so that I can have a bed on the ground.

I have a lot of GI issues, so they are giving me a special meal plan to accommodate that.

They are also giving me special circumstances for labs, classes, and tests.

All of these things were done through my school's disability services. I had to give them a letter from my Doctor saying my illness and how its affects me, so it might be a good idea to have one of those ready. I would set up a meeting with the school's disability services before you start there, if you have time.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to message me with any questions! ;)

-Mary