A Question About Pulse Ox

daisy

I recently purchased a pulse oximeter to check my oxygen levels when I am feeling that awful suffocating sensation I often get. So far, my levels have been good (around 98 or 99) but I did notice a drop to 87 when I let the dogs out and walked up the stairs (with some chest tightness). It rebounded back up quickly but does anyone now if that's normal? I am assuming it is because upon exertion, I am getting a bit less oxygen but I just thought I'd check with the dinet "expert panel"..... ;) Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks!

I'm curious to see the answer to this.

I guess since it goes back up to normal rather quickly then this would be okay not necessarily normal.

But since people don't usually monitor their bp's and pulses 24/7 what are "normal" people's vitals like? Do they dip and raise and bounce around sometimes like ours do?

Does everyone's pulse rise a bit as they stand and do activity?-someone told me that was normal.

I do this too. The reason is, I hold my breath when I walk, especially upstairs. My sister does this too. Then when you get to the top you feel totally exhausted because you cut your own oxygen off. Pay attention the next time you go up the stairs, or down for that matter. I think we had a thread one time on this. It seems there are quite a few of us that don't breathe properly. It was suggested to me by a Mayo doctor to get a CD from Andrew Weil entitled "Breathe". It's supposed to help us learn how to breathe properly. I think that is one of our problems.

And yes, especially with POTS your pulse rate goes up upon standing and movements. If it goes down you probably have another form of autonomic dysfunction. With POTS the pulse goes up at least 30 points or they don't consider that you have POTS. This is from lying to standing.

By the way, if your oxygen goes below 90 they usually put oxygen on you. You may check it at night when you are just about ready to fall asleep and see if it is low. Mine was. I had a sleep study and they found sleep apnea, but I also need oxygen at altitude. I've recently moved lower down and don't need it here. But, when I go up higher - I do. I don't know what came first --the apnea or the POTS. But, I feel there is a connection.