Placental Abruptio...could It Be Related

Chaos

I'm wondering if anyone else on here has had placental abruptio (placenta detaching prematurely while the baby is still in-utero)?.

Three of my four children were born prematurely due to this. I have none of the traditional risk factors and have always wondered if it might somehow be connected to the hypermobility issue and/or the ANS dysfunction. Doing some research on this I've seen that EDS can cause premature rupture of membranes but haven't found anything on this topic.

Just curious....

I was wondering this, some time ago--and had posted on this.

I had placental abruption with my one pregnancy--and it is a major reason I chose not to have more. It could have been catastrophic. As it was, I was in bad shape after it occured--and it happened in the hospital. My daughter survived thankfully, with no ill effects, after an emergency c-section. It occured at 40 wks + so she was not premature.

I thought it was a weird fluke.

Last year my sister had placental abruption at 34 weeks. It occured at home and she lost her baby, and nearly died herself. She was in ICU for 4 days.

B/c abruption is so very rare, I thought it odd that it happened to both of us. I attempted research but could find no evidence of a connection to POTS. To my knowledge we do not have EDS. I started to go to a geneticist, but have not finished that quest yet.

My sister is now 37 weeks pregnant. As a precaution she is hospitalized and has been fine. She is supposed to deliver via c-section on Friday.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to do a search and see what other answers you got when you posted a similar thread.

My abruptions occured at 34 weeks, 31 weeks and 31 weeks. Luckily I was in the hospital already for each of them as I'd had so many complications with bleeding throughout the pregnancies and pre-term labor. I was on bedrest for months with all of those kids. The last was worst with 5 months of bedrest.

Good luck to your sister!!! I'll be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine how tense she must be waiting thru all of these months.

I haven't had much luck with researching this either, but it sure seems odd to have had it THREE times without any known risk factors. (Although they say once you have it once, THAT becomes your risk factor. Seemed like a cop-out to me. : )