Now...I hae always as lways been very thin. Same weight for 20 years. But I have gained 10 lbs in 1 month. I am even eating less...but I have added baclofan and ativan to my meds everyday as I was having terrible tremors and spasms. I also take Zoloft but I hae taken it for a while and had no problem with weight gain before this....I love the new meds...I can stand without shaking and generally feel better. But I can't handle the extra weight and so fast.

Any ideas?

Erika

Now...I hae always as lways been very thin. Same weight for 20 years. But I have gained 10 lbs in 1 month. I am even eating less...but I have added baclofan and ativan to my meds everyday as I was having terrible tremors and spasms. I also take Zoloft but I hae taken it for a while and had no problem with weight gain before this....I love the new meds...I can stand without shaking and generally feel better. But I can't handle the extra weight and so fast.

Any ideas?

Erika

The thing that stands out to me?

I AM EATING EVEN LESS.

Make sure you're getting the amount of calories that you need and that your body requires.

For a while I gained up to thirty pounds and kept gaining and couldn't figure out why. I went to a nutrionist and she found out I was eating only about 850 calories a day, and burning off 300-450 of that! Because I was freaking out at the gain, I would eat less and less, and then I would gain more weight. Also, some days I wouldn't get to exercise or I would eat more, and I would go right into fat storage because I was in a starvation mode.

Make sure you are getting small meals or at least three meals a day with small snacks totaling no more than your daily allowance in calories a day. It should range between 1500-2000 a day depending on height, weight, and age. Mine's about 1800.

If you're feeling better, you're getting more exercise. You're wanting more food. You're eating less. It's a cycle. You're body's screaming, "Dear God, she's trying to KILL ME."

Please don't worry about it now. I always was thin and now I am normal...to me it feels fat. I also gained more than 10 lbs when I went on meds. Just focus on getting better. you can deal with the weight later. I struggle with this every day (none of my jeans fit) but just think about how sick you were and what is important.

When I think of the weight I have gained I try to remember that I am feeling a little better and I want to be a good mom- even if I am not a skinny one.

Illness takes so much from us. A year ago I was sure that I would be bald and my eyelashes were falling out. Today most of my hair is back and on Easter a woman came up to me and told me what pretty eyelashes I have.

My point is I know it ***** but try to focus on what is most important. You can deal with the weight later. Your body wil settle. I thought that I would just keep gaining and gaining but after 12-14lbs I stopped gaining. I just now and trying to cut back and lose some.

Don't be to hard on yourself. If you can get a few outfits in a larger size that look good on you. It helped me to get a few pants that were (yikes 10). I was a size 6 if not a 4.

Sorry you are dealing with this but chin up.... most Americans have weight issues so I don't think anyone notices our little gains!

I went from 102 lbs (my weight my entire adult life except when I was pregnant) to 125 in one year. No doctors would listen to me when I told them that I was eating less and gaining weight. I went to endocrinologist who did blood and urine tests and figured out that I was excreting a tremendous amount of calcium. She put me on hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ). It took about a year and a half, but finally I got back down to my original weight. Now I can actually eat like I did prior to my weight gain and I am able to maintain my 102 lbs. I am still on the HCTZ.

Hope this helps

Bren

....I am still on the HCTZ....
seaboardbc, I am curious about this because I've wondered (and read in one obscure account) about a diuretic being used successfully amid conditions for which they are oft avoided. What is your style of dysautonomia, if I may ask?

Before POTS I weighed a consistent 117. Since POTS I've gotten up to 130 at one extreme and down to 105 at the other. It does suck.