Dysmotility Test

My son had a capsule endoscopy in January. He had to swallow a camera the size of a large pill Then we left and had to keep him up and walking around for several hours while the capsule traveled through his intestines. He had wires hooked to him and a "fanny pack" like contraption that captured all of pictures.

We went back to the hopsital, they took off the wires and fanny pack, and we were done. There was nothing too it really. For my son, they were checking the small intestines for Crohns Disease. They were unable to get into his small instestines during a regular colonoscopy. Everything checked out fine.

It was one of the easiest tests he has had to endure.

hmmm, that's not the one I had ..... I had to take this pill and then wait an hour ..... then they made me eat the radioactive egg breakfast..... then they took nuclear pictures of my stomach (gastric emptying) for 6 hours ..... along with the pictures of my stomach, they took images of my small intestine up to 6 hours .... then i had to go back the next morning for another picture ('m guessing at that point, the pic was of the intestines)....then the third day, I went back for another picture .......... my small intestine at the 6 hour mark showed only 1% emptied (they told me 48-50% at the 6 hour mark should have passed out of the small intestine) .......

I actually haven't had that test.

I did the gastric emptying test and instead of swallowing the pill I had an anoduodenal manometry test which is where a tube is fed through your nose into your intestines and they monitor you for 24 hours while eating and what not and the tube measures the contractions in stomach and intestines ....... it was an awful test probably one of the worsts I've had

I actually haven't had that test.

I did the gastric emptying test and instead of swallowing the pill I had an anoduodenal manometry test which is where a tube is fed through your nose into your intestines and they monitor you for 24 hours while eating and what not and the tube measures the contractions in stomach and intestines ....... it was an awful test probably one of the worsts I've had

My son had that test done in March. He had to spend the night in the hospital with tube/probes in nose/stomach. When they went to do the test the next morning the probes had moved out of the intestines and into his stomach, so they had to scrap the test. He had to start over the next day and respend the night in the hospital. This was the first test he has had that he finally was tired of being a 'lab rat' as he put it. The good news was, everything was fine, so there was no nerve damage in the intestines.

Yeah that was the next test mayo wanted to do on me but they said it wouldn't change much for course of treatment so I didn't have it. I heard too many horror stories about it so I passed!!! They did tell me that they would be able to determine if my gastroparesis and small bowel dysmotility was due to a myopathic or neuropathic process but the test just sounded too horrible to put myself through!

Kudos to you guys n gals who have had the manometry! Eeekk!!