Another Metropolol Question

Lenna

My son took 12-1/2 mg. of Metropolol for four nights. It gave him insomnia and he hasn't been able to get back to his regular sleep pattern (which was never great) since stopping it 5 days ago. Has anyone else had this experience - or is it just a coincidence that he started having worse sleep issues at the same time that he started this new medication?

My son took it 2 years ago, but it brought his resting heart rate down to 46 so he had to stop. He actually was up to 100mg a day, and he was, symptom wise, much better. The problem was he wanted to sleep all the time. His grades plummeted even though he was able to attend school, his "lights were on, but no one was home". The lower doses didn't seem to help his symptoms.

I'm a pharmacist, so I'll give my input here. Beta blockers cause fatigue in more people than insomnia. However, insomnia, sleep disturbances, and nightmares are well documented side effects. Is he on the extended release? I would advise discussing this side effect with his doctor and inquire about non-extended release dosing and morning dosing. I honestly don't know whether this is a side effect he will get used to over time or not. If he sees a cardiologist, he or she should be able to tell you from their patient experiences. You can ask the pharmacy for a package insert off one of their bottles. These side effects will be listed if there is any question. I am sympathize. I get terrible insomnia will Florinef, so I must take the dose first thing in the morning.