Raising The Head Of The Bed ?

miranda

My consultant advised me to do this to help with my Orthostatic Hypotention.

We raised it by 4 Inches and it feels ok.

However I do not understand why this would help ?

any ideas ?

This is one speculated way of increasing blood volume over time. They will also tell you to try to rest in a recliner, rather than spending time in bed. Prolonged bed rest can cause orthostatic intolerance in otherwise healthy individuals, so if you have hypovolemic POTS, it's best to avoid lying flat during the day unless absolutely necessary.

Guest tearose

For some, tilting the head during the night helps keep blood pressure from plummeting during sleep.

I can not do this because I have Lymphedema and the treatment for that is raising the foot of the bed!!!

The complete opposite!

So, I just sleep "normal" and wind up with low waking bp.

Thanks , they dont say if I have Hypovelmic problems , I was just told I have OH.

Could this be the case, if they are suggesting these measures ?

Many, but certainly not all patients with orthostatic intolerance are hypovolemic. Measures like increasing salt consumption, drinking copious amounts of fluids, elevating the bed, an exercise regimen and some medications are aimed at increasing or maximizing blood volume per my POTS physician. I wouldn't hesitate to call and ask if you want to know your doctor's thoughts.

I was told to increase the amount of pillows I slept on.I do find that on 2 pillows I am less dizzy during the night and on waking so for me it works.

My consultant said it helps increase blood volume.

Did your doctor say how he knows you are hypovolemic? I don't know if its an assumption with ANS issues or if there is a way to tell for sure?

Thanks.

Melanie.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done best in recliner (slight head-up angle) while sleeping. Noticeable enough that I developed this habit (compulsion) long before ever hearing of POTS or that such a thing could exist.

I run the risk of passing bad information here, but I recall reading that the body's aldosterone production increases drastically when upright. Aldosterone tends to tell kidneys to hold salt/water and build blood volume. Those of us that take fludrocortisone are basically taking a synthetic aldosterone to boost this effect. I don't know, but perhaps the slightly upright position gives a slight trigger to increase aldosterone (like standing does). Don't quote me on this! Just what I recall off the top of my head. :)

They might put you on fludrocortisone for O.H. too since its a blood volume building inducer/retainer.