Ferritin Levels?

My daughter had her ferritin checked. Her pediatrician said it was in the "normal" range, but it was only 22. I think the bottom of the range was 18? I know from having RLS that anything under 50 really isn't that good. I took iron supplements and got it up to 89 in a few months. I just wonder if this could be a part of the puzzle for her? She is still feeling terrible. Any thoughts?

Hmm . . . I have no idea if it is POTS related. I also have tested very low in ferritin, like 4. However, because I had regular iron levels I was told not to worry. However, I have since been told that low ferritin levels might be the cause of my hair thinning. How was your daughters' iron?

Sorry I am not able to help more, I just thought I would go ahead and post that I have similar problems in case there seems to be a correlation amongst us potsies!

Hmm . . . I have no idea if it is POTS related. I also have tested very low in ferritin, like 4. However, because I had regular iron levels I was told not to worry. However, I have since been told that low ferritin levels might be the cause of my hair thinning. How was your daughters' iron?

Sorry I am not able to help more, I just thought I would go ahead and post that I have similar problems in case there seems to be a correlation amongst us potsies!

You asked how is her "iron", do you mean her hemoglobin? If so, that is fine.

Yes, sorry, I meant her hemoglobin levels. I seem to get stuck saying "iron" all the time because my doctor kept repeating that (instead of using hemoglobin and other more scientific terms) when he was trying to explain the difference to my mother. She is really very intelligent, but when I take her to the doctor's office all of the sudden it is like she forgot all the science she has ever learned! I think one time she asked what estrogen was! Sorry about that. I have normal hemoglobin levels, and low ferritin.

I had a similar experience in that my h and h was low norm range, but ferritin level I finally learned was 7. I still feel fatiqued easily and do not feel "normal" but feel being on the Iron supplement has helped. Last bloodwork showed I was up to 28, so I would think for your daughter it would be worth trying. Doctors must vary in their opinion on this, but I was told by my pots dr he does not like ferritin to be less than 40.

I agree. My RLS doc says nothing less than 50. It is such a wide normal range, it is hard to know what one person's "normal" should be. I am currently exploring other avenues to find answers to her fatigue. Kind of grasping at straws, maybe, but hopefully we can come up with the long one! It was the POTS dr. that actually suggested testing the ferritin. I should ask him what he thinks about a 22 in a person with pots.

• 13 years later...