Head Tingling? A New Symptom For Me...

daisy

Hello,

Wondering if anyone experiences tingling in their heads, especially when standing? This is a new one for me....feels very weird and uncomfortable. Circulatory maybe? Not enough oxygen getting to brain? "Normal" symptom of POTS? Any input is appreciated!

Hi Daisy,

are you taking midodrine? One of the classic side effects of midodrine is to cause tingling of the scalp. I guess that alteration in blood flow to the scalp would be the reason for the midodrine side effect so if you are not on midodrine it may still be due to changes on blood flow.

Flop

Hello,

Wondering if anyone experiences tingling in their heads, especially when standing? This is a new one for me....feels very weird and uncomfortable. Circulatory maybe? Not enough oxygen getting to brain? "Normal" symptom of POTS? Any input is appreciated!

Hi Daisy,

I feel horrid to say this but I was pleased to see your post about this! I did a post about this last week. I have this really bad, sometimes its like a tingling but sometimes its like a shivering in my head and at times it goes right through my body and I feel like I shudder for no reason. I am warm and not in any draughts or anything and it drives me crazy sometimes. I sometimes I feel like I want to rub my head for it to go away. Nobody answered my post so I thought I was the only one. I am not on any medication yet as I haven't had a diagnosis yet. Oh yes, and definitely more so on standing.

Thanks for your responses....

No, I am not on midodrine...never have been......

Desperate Deb - sorry you're having this same strange symptom....I missed your post last week, although I probably wouldn't have responded because I wasn't having the symptom. It makes sense that it's a circulation thing, possibly blood pooling. It is worse when I go from sitting to standing and I know my blood pools badly when I sit (I look like a smurf!).....

Thanks for your responses....

No, I am not on midodrine...never have been......

Desperate Deb - sorry you're having this same strange symptom....I missed your post last week, although I probably wouldn't have responded because I wasn't having the symptom. It makes sense that it's a circulation thing, possibly blood pooling. It is worse when I go from sitting to standing and I know my blood pools badly when I sit (I look like a smurf!).....

Ha ha ha. I look like a shuddering smurf!

By the way my post was headed "another weird thing" and I was feeling like a weird thing because nobody responded :)

I get an intense head tingling (loosely akin to a "chill" effect) after pushing exercise hard for several minutes (and especially when I slow down after doing so). I imagine it could come from various things, but I believe it is a known part of "sympathetic" response... specifically the later more intense phases. I'm assuming it has to do with the various (sometimes opposed) signals intended to redirect blood flow. Seems like they reach a certain threshold and the little vessels & arterioles respond throughout the scalp... or perhaps something "pushes back" against the sympathetic stimulation and overcomes it suddenly. Hard to say.

I've not taken midodrine, but wouldn't be surprised if it's side-effect sensation is similar since it is an "alpha adrenergic agonist" and might set the stage for that response.

Overall, I believe it is a "normal body response" and haven't heard of it doing any harm, just discomfort (from mild to severe). Of course, with a dysautonomia we are often triggering these normal responses at less than normal times or to inappropriate extremes... so in that sense it is quite abnormal and disruptive! Perhaps it is consistent with "standing up being akin to exercise" and also "excess sympathetic stimulation" that is characteristic of POTS.

I don't usually get it from just standing, however if I stand up (and stay still) I will go through an escalation of sympathetic nervous system symptoms. Once or twice I have gotten to the tingly scalp sensation if pushing it. Sounds like you might get to that point quicker... or perhaps you are actually less prone to other symptoms (such as fainting) and you get this symptom more prominently since you're able to stand thru the symptoms longer than some other folks. Maybe those vessels are just "calibrated" to respond a little differently/earlier by other means... like how some seem to "pool" in different locations but are otherwise similar.

Basically, I think it can be part of "just POTS", but I wouldn't know if there are other concerns about it.

Deb - you are definitely not a weird thing......!!! But, I know what you mean with our goofy symptoms making us feel weird :)

Erik - thanks for the very thorough response. Makes sense......I am a bit concerned about MS I suppose. I have been having tingling and numbness off and on for a bit now and some eye pain and rapid eye movements as well. My daughter told me last night when I was talking to her that my eyes looked like they were a typewriter (I'm surprised her generation even knows what a manual typewriter is!) It never lasts very long....seems to straighten itself out. I've get so tired of trying to figure it all out. I've had several MRIs over the last ten years but my Dr. said that MS can be slow to manifest and they would have to watch it (especially because I'm also so darn dizzy all the time, even when my heartrate and bp seem ok). Most of the time when I get these new, wacko symptoms I just push through it and chalk it up to just what you said - the sympathetic stimulation....I guess time will tell...we'll see if it clears up or gets worse.

Thanks again everyone!!