Propranalol

miranda

My problems began years ago , I used to get fast heart beats and feel panicky and yuck.

Then my gp put me on propranalol and my fast heart beat problem calmed down alot.

Now I am seeing a neuro who discovered I had orthostatic hypotention ,

she wants me to come off the propranalol but I am too afraid to try.

from what I have read propranalol can stop the body producing adrenalin

which causes orthostatic hypotention.

Am I right ? or have I read it wrong.

Your both right. She wants to see if the propranol is causing the hypotension, because it can lower BP as well as HR.

What you really need is a TTT to see what happens with your HR/BP and/or if you have syncope (fainting) as well. If you can wean off the propran to do a Tilt Table, might not be a bad idea, especially if you haven't had one yet.

Thing is with this condition you can have Pots, and/or hypotension, hypertension and syncope. Depending on the findings a lot of docs give propran. Because my BP goes up, the propran made that worse, so I am now on labetalol because I do both go up and down/syncope.

Propranolol allows me to function. I do take it with Midodrine (as my BP can run low to normal and this mix helps me keep it in a normal range).

You do have to go off meds for testing sometimes, which is a struggle. Maybe you can make sure if you are going off meds to get tested, you can get a bunch of testing at once?

Thanks for the replys , its really nice talking to other sufferers.

I am also on Amitryptyline and am cutting back on that too , I can feel the difference already.

I just dont want to rock the boat.

Another thing I wonder about is my heavy periods ,

can this cause OH ?

I know heavy periods make mine WORSE, so I try to have as few as possible (those 4 times a year BCP, like Seasonique, work well for me).

Good luck!

I was wondering if I should get them sorted out , I heard the coil can stop periods .

Also I always get alot of gum bleeding , I have sensitive gums but could the twice a day brushing and bleeding not be helping ?

I just want to sort this problem out as best I can , I have been doing the salt and fluid thing and now it says I have high blood pressure ,lol.

This is my plan ....

come off amitryptyline

reduce propranalol

stop periods

drink more

salt meals - (can you get salt tablets in the uk ?)

Maybe take flux ??? that raises blood pressure.