Help With Anti-biotics

Janey

I am on the anti=biotic Augmentin for bacterial overgrowth in my small intestine (as a result of EDS/POTS) and I'm on a really high dose. I am on day three and can't keep anything inside me. I'm so dehydrated I'm having a POTS crash and this just CAn'T happen now! I have interviews for a couple of part time jobs this week and I REALLY need them because I have no money, and if I am crashing now I'm not even going to make it to the interviews.

If I stop taking them right now, how bad will it be? Will I cause even more bacteria to grow/make the problem worse?

I am on the anti=biotic Augmentin for bacterial overgrowth in my small intestine (as a result of EDS/POTS) and I'm on a really high dose. I am on day three and can't keep anything inside me. I'm so dehydrated I'm having a POTS crash and this just CAn'T happen now! I have interviews for a couple of part time jobs this week and I REALLY need them because I have no money, and if I am crashing now I'm not even going to make it to the interviews.

If I stop taking them right now, how bad will it be? Will I cause even more bacteria to grow/make the problem worse?

Get a fresh bottle of ProBiotics like acidophilus. ***MAKE SURE IT IS FRESH!****

take it opposite the dose of Augmentin (if you take it at 8AM, take the probiotic at 2pm) if you take acidophilus with your antibiotic, the antibiotic will kill it in your stomach and it will never make it to your intestine. Yogurt is not enough. Then do the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.)

I do this with my kids, they are super sensitive to antibiotics.

I was going to say the same thing as Firewatcher...probiotics! I take them all the time and I believe it helps alot! Studies have shown that 70% of your immune function is in the gut and also a great deal of serotonin is in the gut. Trying to assure proper gut flora is beneficial all around! :-)

Have a good day!

KC

Sue1234,

My GI doc did a hydrogen breath test on me. I was mentioning my usual bloating, crampy intestines, etc., to him, and his eyes were glazing over. But when I said to the doc, "you know I have autonomic dysfunction..." , it's like a lightbulb went off in his head, and then he came up with the idea of giving me the above test.

I tested positive.

Futurehope,

Thanks for the info. I think I had one of those about 10 years ago. I don't remember what the results were--that was back before I requested copies of everything I have done. I bet that's what I have, probably along with fungus, as the Nystatin really seemed to help my bloating.

When I asked my Nurse Practitioner(gi) about possibly doing the breath test, she just said that that test is not accurate anymore! I didn't know if I actually believed her or not. But, since you said that you had it, then I am going to check into it more. You know, it was a doctor at this NP(gi) that originally saw me 10 years ago for bloating. Maybe she is just saying that because they originally did the test and maybe it was positive and they didn't treat me! I am going to ask for copies of those old results to see.

Heya,

I was also going to recommend acidophilis. Keep it in the fridge too! Also, a supplement called caprycilic acid can help to kill off excess 'bad' bacteria without killing off 'good' bacteria. It's actually really nice because it smells like coconuts. Inexpensive too.

I hope you soon fell better! xx

Guest tearose

I too use probiotics. Try thinking of the foods that tend to "bind" you.

I don't know why it is but I eat one bagel and I've stopped all trouble with running to the bathroom! It seem to constipate me very easily so try eating a bagel or some dense white bread product.

Keep those electrolytes in balance too.