Adrenalin Rushes

Janey

My doctors have started taking notice of what I've been describing as my night terrors (they're not actually night terrors in the traditional sense!) I wake up in the middle of the night feeling wired like I have taken a shed load of caffeine, dizzy, I have diarrhea (and often vomit) and am in a weird head-state. It's like my body is in the real world and my head is in a different place - like derealization?

My neurologist has said this sounds like an "adrenalin hit." He's going to tell me more about it when I next see him and help me with it, but I wondered if any of you know anything about this and why it would happen?

My POTS is caused by EDS and not adrenals. is it possible to have both?

Janey

Guest tearose

Maybe you would benefit from a sleep study?

I am more like a rag doll over the course of the night and cannot move by morning. I get up carefully to make my way to the bathroom and then back to bed. I wake and go back to sleep. If for some reason I can't sleep I will get up and read or meditate and eventually go back to sleep.

I hope others can shed some light on this for you...I only feel real adrenalin rushes during the day IF I am not in compression or I'm tired or sick or in a relapse.

Hi Janey

Yes I have exactly this as you described and at my worst I too had diarrhoea during these night time episodes,often in the early hours of the morning. I have improved since then, but still have this happening in the day sometimes, and it is horrid. I would be very interested what your doctor says about these events as they worry me too.

this happens to me.. now I take klonopin at bedtime. Beta blockers also help this somehow. It is my understanding that it is the stress homones from your adrenals. I do not have EDS so I can't speak to that.

Those fight or flight homones really make you feel awful. Mine would come out of the blue. I think they would happen at night if I rolled over. I also have trouble breathing with this. The first time it happened many years ago... I thought I was having an asthma attack.

Sorry you feel this way but meds have really helped me.