Holter Monitor Tomorrow...

OK...I haven't had a holter monitor for 10 months. Last monitor showed hr very high (190). My doc says to take my toprol tomorrow and he can see what is happening when I am on meds and feeling somewhat better (ps I don't really feel all that much better even when my hr is lowered on bb's).

My hr is lowered so much on bb's so I am afraid that it won't show so many abnormalites! I am afraid if I take all my meds they will say "oh...it is not that bad". Before my TTT they didn't let me take my beta blockers for 2 days (I was dying). But then it really showed how awful it is.

I know I sound paranoid...but in the beginning no one believed me....and I don't want my disability insurance to say ...oh she is ok. etc. But then again, I want to give the doc an accurate picture...

Anyone on have any thoughts...maybe I am just nuts...but I struggle so evveryday and I want someone to have that on paper!!

Erika

The holter will only show your heart rate - it doesn't show your BP or how you are actually feeling. Even if the holter on meds doesn't show anything abnormal it doesn't mean that you are fixed. If your doctor has asked you to stay on your beta-blockers then I would do as he has asked and take them as normal. Often doctors do a repeat holter to check that your HR isn't going too low from the meds. The doctor will probably make decisions about your dose of beta-blockers based on the holter result so it is important that they know what dose you took. (If your HR goes too low they may reduce the dose or if it is still too high they may increase the dose or try a different medication).

Don't worry, just go about your day as normal and see what the holter shows. Make sure that you do your normal daily activities, don't just rest all day. Also keep a journal of what you did at what time, and what symptoms you had at what time - this way the doctor can see what your HR was when you were feeling bad.

Good luck,

Flop