Adrenergic Pots

sj75

I have this form of pots and have had some lovely advice from here about alpha blockers. I was just trying to find out what other medications may be useful for this form of pots. I have read on here about all kinds of tablets from valium, antihistamines, anti depressents to salt. I am quite new to pots and dont fully understand how it all works but would be interested in looking more into treatments and tests (ive had a ttt what else should i ask for) and medications.

Also, i have been offered the flu jab, pneumonia jab and swine flu jab and am just wondering how other people feel about getting these?

sj.x

Hi SJ, just wanted to make sure you understood that Labetalol is an Alpha and a Beta together. Also if not enough people answer this post you can use the search feature on the forum and search for the terms that most apply to you. There is a lot of info already posted out there on the forum if you search your term. That is what I did and it might be faster then waiting for people to respond. Best of luck to you. If you say were you are from people in your area might be able to recommend doctors. Good Luck!

This article has a paragraph or two distinguishing H-POTS as well as distinction in Table 2 listing which subset various meds tend to help with. It's just a starting point. There are few or no hard rules to this. Generally one has to hunt through treatments until one hopefully finds a balance between benefit and side effect. Different docs can have different approaches, information can change, and patients can respond in various ways, even paradoxically.

Postural Tachycardia Syndrome (Blair P. Grubb, MD) 2008:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/117/21/2814

"Table 2. Therapeutic Options in POTS" with meds broken down by subtype, "H" being Hyperadrenergic:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/fu...2814/TBL2189801

Thankyou so much guys, thats really helpful. I will ask my cardiologist about the mixed alpha beta blocker.

The medication table is extremely useful and i will print it and take it with me to my next appointment. The cardiologist sent me a letter with a list of medication on that they will look at trying but when ive looked them up some of them arent suitable for the type of pots i have.

sj.

Erik,

Thank you so much for those links. From there, I searched for related articles and now I have my work cut out for me in reading all of them. They are most helpful. I am still trying to find a cardiologist who says more than "there is nothing else we can do for your daughter" and reading this material helps me know a lot more than what the doctors are telling me. I'm thinking perhaps I ought to send the links to them! Many thanks. It so nice to find a place where so many people share information.

~ dakota

Just want to double emphasize that there are no hard rules to this stuff. That list is also partial... there are meds not listed that some people try... it's just the only one I've personally found so far that categorizes med by POTS variants and is from one of the leaders in the field (Dr. Grubb). I am sure even Dr. Grubb would emphasize that there are no hard rules to treatment, that one still ends up with "trial & error" and setbacks and surprises.

Also, be sure to consider key articles by other key medical/research figures, such as Raj:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1501099/

If you are in a mood to digest lots of information, here is a post where an individual consolidated their view of treatments:

Treating Your POTS: The Typical Medication Protocol

http://te-in.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=22...&topic=4334