Boy, I Can Sure Walk Far!

janiedelite

I'm only able to walk for about 15 minutes at a time.....then I need to rest. My endurance has gotten really bad since I've been sick. I live at elevation and can walk for a longer time when I'm at sea level. But that's probably because of the extra red blood cells and oxygen that people who live higher elevation initially get when they go down to a lower altitude. Standing still, like in a line is always is a problem for me.

In the good old days I used to be able to walk for hours without getting tired.

I can walk, but if I walk too much for me (as when I was sight-seeing in London), I get like I can't put one foot in front of another because I get exhausted. I can actually do it, but I feel exhausted like I'm running on empty, low on fuel. Maybe I am? Maybe I'm low on blood sugar or something?

Walking is preferable to sitting or standing, but too much walking for me means I need to recover. To recover, I lay down and rest.

Guest brianala

I play roller derby, and I can skate for hours on end and I'm fine. But my normal work day of going in to work and sitting at my computer completely wipes me out. I still don't understand it, and it's hard to explain to other people.

Endurance in skating is still an issue for me though. I have to keep taking breaks for water and to catch my breath.

It is indeed hard to explain a "work allergy" to people :) Unfortunately, it can be a reality, not an excuse. Also, it's tough to explain when one suffers chronic fatigue but still has some ability (episodic or specific sorts of activity). People get suspicious! Can't really blame them, but it's frustrating.

It is indeed hard to explain a "work allergy" to people :rolleyes: Unfortunately, it can be a reality, not an excuse. Also, it's tough to explain when one suffers chronic fatigue but still has some ability (episodic or specific sorts of activity). People get suspicious! Can't really blame them, but it's frustrating.

Yes. It feels crazy to be able to walk, but make me sit in a chair and talk on the phone for 30 minutes and my head throbs and I feel like losing my lunch. My brain fog keeps me from being able to balance my checkbook anymore. And I used to work as a nurse and be able to calculate IV drip rates.