Long Term Disabiltiy

Just wanted to give you alll an update. I was finally approved for long-term disability from my long-term disability insurance!! Wow. It took both my neurologist and EP calling the insurance comany!! You know I would really do anything to feel well enough to work!! I guess in all fairness most insureance companies and many ohters have never heard of POTS.

Anyway...at least that hurdle is over..thank God! Now...I would love to be able to really feel better. But for today that is a tleast some good news. :)

Erika

Oh I'm so glad, finally you don't have to stress out anymore. Can I ask what convinced the insurance company though, specifically? I've heard they grant it if the doc makes a good enough case concerning the unpredictability of symptoms and the overall inconsistency and unreliability of the worker (due to the condition). Is this the angle they took, or are you physically impaired with a severe case of Dysautonomia to the point where you have trouble getting around? I'm just wondering what won them over specifically so that I know just how hard it is to get it (I know it's hard in general, but this condition has such a stigma, I have no clue how bad it is with insurance companies). I want to be able to think it's an option for me if I just can't seem to keep from relapsing. I don't want it to be an option, but I don't know what the future will bring and what kind of jobs I'll be able to do, especially if the economy doesn't get better.

I have Cigna but I think it is a specific policy thing because I work for a large corporation.

I was out on disability on and off a few years there because I had a severe bout with Guillain Barre. I have pretty significant nerve damage in my legs and severe fatigue. I was never expected to work again but I wanted to try to go back to my career.

That being said, I learned to compensate and go on. Then this POTS thing kicked my butt!! I couldn't work for more than 3 days in a row or I would land in the hospital. I would shake and not be able to walk more than 15 ft. from sheer physical exhaustoin. I am so weak and sick.

I think due to my previoius condition and a great EP combination my case got approved. My neurologist loves me and knows I would work if I could..he has known me now for years.

I have a great EP (electrophysiologist). He knows a lot about POTS. He spoke with the doctor at my insurance company. So did my neurologist. They both really went to bat for me.

It was so frustrating as you all well know as they say "well...when you are sitting your hr is normal so why cna't you sit and work"... my EP I think explained that it is a syndrome.....not just the hr. Thank God for him...Many EP's don't seem to know as much as him regarding POTS.

I think we just have to be persistant. When you cna't work, you can't work and you know it and I think you just have to find the right doctors who are supportive and really care about you.

Anyway...sorry this got so lengthy...