Ritalin And Mestinon...

wareagle

Hi all. I'm going to see my POTS doc soon and I'm ready to add some more meds to my mix. I've been on Florinef and Clonodine for 3 yrs. and haven't really tried much else. I'm finally brave enough to try some more stuff. I DID try Midodrine and can't take it b/c it hurt my bladder way too much (I also have IC).

I've been thinking and discussing possibly trying a stimulant like Ritalin...my concern with this is that I also take the Clonodine. Apparently there can be problems with this combo. and I don't want to stop the Clonodine as it has been very helpful. Has anyone take Ritalin and Clonodine together? I'm getting mixed messages when I research it and don't know what to think.

I also thought I'd maybe give Mestinon a try. I've done searches and it seems some have success and some don't. Guess it's the same with all these meds. Fortunately I don't think I have to worry about many drug interactions with this. Does this med help you to be upright more....or is it mainly used for GI motility issues?

I'll definately be discussing this with my doc. but thought I'd get some feedback from ya'll before I went. Thanks for any info you can give!! :blink:

while mestinon - for me - was most obvious in its help w/ my GI motility issues, the official studies that have been done re: its use - at mayo & at vanderbilt - have been with regard to it helping with orthostatic intolerance/ hypotension issues...not any variety of GI motility issues. for me it was also part of the combo that gave me the most "upright time" so to speak when i was a research patient at vandy years back. so even though the GI help was more obvious to me it technically helped me orthostatically too.

hope this helps clarify,

:blink: melissa

Thanks Melissa! I should have gone back a bit further in my search...I know you've posted about the Mestinon before. I'm glad to know that it actually helps with orthostatic issues. I've heard so much about the increased GI motility that I was beginning to think that was the only benifit people were getting! :blink: