Ivabradine

Suzanne

My doc has just prescribed this to me. I am on Florinef, but it only helps a bit. I have been on it for a week, low dose. No reaction so far. Has anyone else tried this drug? It is sold as Coralan here. I it supposed to help boost up my blood pressure which is 80/60 and too low for me.

Many thanks

Suzanne

I just looked up this med on the web and it seems interesting--and also quite related to the other post on resting heart rate. This med lowers heart rate using a different means than other meds like beta blockers. Apparently several studies have shown a link between high resting heart rate and heart attacks, so doctors are focusing on heart rate in addition to blood pressure. This medication was developed to help reduce heart rate in healthy patients and patients with established heart disease.

The controlled studies on the drug showed good results and few side effects, but those didn't focus on POTS patients. There are a few medical reports of individual POTS patients doing well with this drug--lower heart rates and improved symptoms. But those are just a few isolated reports in journals, not more general reports. Does anyone else know about this drug? It's new and, from the reports, it looks like it might have caught on in Europe and Australia ahead of the US. But it seems like something to find out more about. When I looked back at my son's medical reports I was amazed to see how high his resting heart rate is--and that's before he stands up. Yikes!

I just looked up this med on the web and it seems interesting--and also quite related to the other post on resting heart rate. This med lowers heart rate using a different means than other meds like beta blockers. Apparently several studies have shown a link between high resting heart rate and heart attacks, so doctors are focusing on heart rate in addition to blood pressure. This medication was developed to help reduce heart rate in healthy patients and patients with established heart disease.

The controlled studies on the drug showed good results and few side effects, but those didn't focus on POTS patients. There are a few medical reports of individual POTS patients doing well with this drug--lower heart rates and improved symptoms. But those are just a few isolated reports in journals, not more general reports. Does anyone else know about this drug? It's new and, from the reports, it looks like it might have caught on in Europe and Australia ahead of the US. But it seems like something to find out more about. When I looked back at my son's medical reports I was amazed to see how high his resting heart rate is--and that's before he stands up. Yikes!

My daughter is on it... it reduces heartrate a few beats per minute.. I dont think it is holding the hr down anywhere near as much as it needs to..she still shoots upto 154 standing (on the med...) symptoms verrry slightly improved.. dont know if that is the fludro or the ivabradine.. suspect the fludro as, when she started that the syncope reduced quite a bit...Gwen

I started taking Ivabradine (brand name is Procorolan in the UK) a few weeks ago. I had been on beta-blockers for years but they were causing problems with my allergies so I am trying out this new med.

So far it seems to be working really well for me. My heart rate is much better controlled than is was on the beta-blocker and this med doesn't affect blood pressure (my beta-blocker was lowering my BP).

The main difference between Ivabradine and beta-blockers is how specific they are in their action. There are beta-receptors throughout the body so although we take beta-blockers to slow the heart rate they also act on the blood vessels, lungs and elsewhere. Ivabradine works on something called the If channel in the sinus node of the heart to slow down the heart rate. This If channel only exists in the sinus node so the drug has no effect elsewhere. (Well there is a similar channel in the retina of the eye so a small percentage of people develop visual side-effects but these often settle down and are reversible).

I know a few weeks is nothing but I seem to have more energy and am sleeping better (probably both due to stopping the beta-blocker which are known for causing fatigue and insomnia). I work with a personal trainer and he has noticed a big increase in what I can do in the gym - previously I couldn't walk on the treadmill even on the flat without my HR going crazy >170/min. Now I am actually managing to jog for 45-60 seconds before my HR gets to 150/min and he slows me back to a walk.

I know other people have had initial success with this med then had to stop it because of problems so I'm not saying it is definitely right for me but I'm hoping that this recent improvement continues.

Flop

Hi all, thanks for feedback. I have been on it a week with no noticeable effect. I am hoping for any tiny improvement in energy, a higher BP, any positive change. My quality of life has taken a nosedive and I guess I am clinging on for a break. Oh well, I will keep clinging!

Hi Suzanne,

Ivabradine is not supposed to have any effect on BP so I doubt it will raise your low BP. However Fludrocortisone does raise BP when taken with the right amounts of water and salt. Hopefully you will end up with the right combination of medications to control HR and raise BP. What doses of each medication are you taking at the moment?

Flop

• 1 month later...
My doc has just prescribed this to me. I am on Florinef, but it only helps a bit. I have been on it for a week, low dose. No reaction so far. Has anyone else tried this drug? It is sold as Coralan here. I it supposed to help boost up my blood pressure which is 80/60 and too low for me.

Many thanks

Suzanne

Suzanne, I want to try this drug. Can you give me specific details on how my doctor would obtain this drug for me. thanks, carol