Allergy Shots

firewatcher

OK,

If I am getting allergy shots AND on anti-histamines (Allegra, Zantac and Singulair) is my body REALLY becoming immune to the allergen or just not responding because of the drugs? Once I stop the drugs won't I be allergic again? If I'm on a histamine blockade, how will I know?

This was the first week that I did not react to my shots, and it is also the first week that I am on "the histamine blockade."

Should I keep doing both? I'd hate to have a severe reaction because I forgot to fill a prescription! And if the prescriptions work that well, why take the shots?

:)

I was on Allergy shots and anti-histamines for four years. Towards the end of my time on allergy shots, I was able to go off some of my anti-histamines. About the reactions, I don't know if your doctor said this, but at my allergists office, you aren't supposed to take anti-histamines for the 24 hours before the shot. That is so they can see your body's full reaction to the shot. I also have one question. Are you on a beta-blocker? If you are you should discuss that with your doctor, because beta-blockers can make it very hard to treat a severe allergic reaction because they do the opposite of epinephrine. The main reason why I stopped shots was that I was diagnosed with POTS and put on a beta-blocker.

I was considered for allergy shots. The hospital where I go say that you must take an antihistamine tablet 30 minutes before the shot.

The idea of allergy shots (desensitization) is to give the body tiny tiny doses of something that you are allergic to and get the body to not react, then gradually increase the dose of the shot so that the body stops reacting and you aren't allergic to that thing any more.

Antihistamine tables don't stop your body from releasing histamine, they reduce the effect of the histamine on your body. Taking them before an allergy shot will reduce the severity of symptoms you experience.

Desensitization is a slow treatment but the idea is that eventually you won't react to the allergen so no longer need to take antihistamines.

Flop

• 2 weeks later...

I was tested for allergens via skin pricks. My allergist then made me serum to be used in injections with my allergens in them. After 6 years of an allergy shot every other week, I requested retesting. I have "lost" some of my allergies since having 6 years of shots. It does NOT mean that they won't come back. They may. I remain on shots, with my allergist

changing what's in the serum according to info relayed to him on my twice yearly visits.

I will remain on antihistamines for my remaining allergies and for other conditions that they help.